Hunter PGV Valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Have always used Nelson 7900 valves with very good success, but have located a supplier that sells Hunter products and is pushing the Hunter PGV valves at a very good price compared to the Nelson. Would like to know if any one has used the Hunter PGV's for awhile and their likes and dislikes.
  2. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Used the Jar- Top PGV for about a year now. No failures yet. Have been doing residential installs for 4 years. Used Rainbird, Toro, Weathermatic, Nelson Solorain's and Hunter. Only had failures on Rainbird, Nelson, and Weathermatic solenoids. Use only the Hunter now.

3. Mataman

Mataman LawnSite Member

I've only used Rainbird, Hunter and toro. I prefer the Hunter, and the jartops seems like a good idea but I've never tried them. The really good thing about Hunter is that Mr. Hunter is still around.
  4. evergreenlandscaping

evergreenlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from raleigh

Hunter is the only way to go!
    Only four screws
    Screws can be removed if stripped with flat head
    Solenoids very reliable
    Easy to clean - unlike rainbird where small rocks can lodge in bottom housing
  5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

don't forget about your hunter points...they add up...extra $$$ in your pocket.
  6. njbrooks

njbrooks LawnSite Member

I used over 1100 PGV Jar top valves this past summer and only had to replace 2 of over 1100, I think they are the best valve on the market. I design and install roughly 400-600 irrigation systems a year from 2 zone to 60 zone systems and use jar tops for them all.

7. Mataman

Mataman LawnSite Member

what's your market? new construction of residential/condo's/commercial?

Mine is mainly new residential, I just went over 300 vlvs last year. Peanuts compared to your 1100+

I'll have to take a better look at those jar tops.

Also do you have a good relationship with your local Hunter rep? With putting in that many systems a year he must(owes) be giving you a really great deal on your parts.
  8. Mataman

Mataman LawnSite Member

please delete
  9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had excellent service from the PGV. I don't like jar top valves of anyones. If you don't clean the threads before re assembling, you can get leaks. I just like screws.
  10. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

any hunter valve works good....never really had any major problems...except for some with bad solenoids.

jar tops are cool...but just as hbfox said, tighten the top or it will leak.