1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hunter Pro-C Controller - Who Wants It?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, May 27, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like Hunter stuff so much. So we're working on this rather large project we'll be at for a month or two. And I didn't want to keep messing with the dang Hunter controller. I know the RB ones much better. So I talked the client into letting me replace their Hunter Pro-C with a RB controller. Now I have this basically new Hunter Pro-C controller and I was going to put it up on eBay. But I figured I'd see if any of you wanted to buy it from me first.

I figure it's gonna cost about $10.00 or so to ship it. And I have no idea what they sell for since all I buy is RB stuff.

It does have 2 additional modules already inside of it (for a total of 9 zones) and it's in perfect like-new condition. The only thing I don't have is the card that lists out the zones. That was written on and I think my crew threw it away anyway.

Make me an offer. If I don't get any, no big deal. I can just go with eBay.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Give it a ride in the microwave, then eBay it.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I offer -20 dollars, you pay shipping. Thats 20 bones youll have to pay me to take a hunk of schitt PRO-C. I like them as well as you, Jim. Whats your project (not to change the subj)

4. JimLewis

Thanks. I think I'll pass on that deal.

Fortunately, we were able to land a HUGE job from some customers we've had for a few years. They just bought a new home (well, more like a mansion) and we're landscaping most of it. If not for these guys, business would be way off this year. Thanks to them, business is only a little off this year.

We're almost finished with the front yard. We did $19,000 worth of shrubs, perennials, and groundcovers. No trees - that was just $19,000 in small plants and shrubs. They already had the trees installed by someone else who they were not happy with. We seeded the front yard. Then we did about $6,000 in lighting, a few grand in irrigation (just adding onto the system). Then they wanted more plants, more lighting, more irrigation additions, and a lattice screen installed. So that was another $6,600. We finished all that stuff today. We're almost finished in the front yard, supposedly. But we are returning Friday for a few grand more of irrigation work, a little more planting, and finish off the front yard with barkmulch.

The back yard is the REALLY big part. Our designer just finished the design for that. It's so big he used 5 separate pieces of drafting paper to show all of the work to be done. 3 plan-view designs and 2 perspective-view designs to give them an idea of what certain areas would look like, once installed. So that's what I am up working on tonight (and probably the next 6 nights) - is the bid for the work in the back yard. There's 3100 sq. ft. of verious sized pavers in an ashlar pattern, $30,000 worth of excavation, big rock walls, and big rock steps (we sub that part out to our excavator guy), about 5K sq. ft. of new grass, probably 8-10 new irrigation zones, a large concrete fountain, play structure area, several pathways, dog run area, courtyard (seat) walls, a boat load of plants, trees, shrubs, etc., and a lot more lighting. Once I can finish the bid and they accept the proposal (which is just a formality, they love us and already said we have the job) then we'll be busy here for another probably month and a half implementing all this stuff.

It's just sweetness that we got the job because I was bidding against the largest landscape company in our state and the 27th largest in the country. Fortunately, my sales skills are improving and the other company's design wasn't quite as impressive.

Definitely the biggest job we've ever done so far. We had one last year that topped $50K. And another that came pretty close to that. But this one will top both of those put together when we're done. Which, again, is a God-send because the rest of business is quite a bit slower this year.

Below is a sample of one of the designs we did for the back yard.

BackYardPerspectiveB.jpg

5. I save controllers like that for single moms... IE: here is a free controller....

6. Wet_Boots

What's the gripe on the Pro-C?

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Me too. Or sell it at a cheap discount for someone complaining about price. Tell them no warranty, and they can figure out how to use on their own.

8. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

i'll take it :waving:

9. Wet_Boots

Do Texans bid in units of brisket?

10. JimLewis

That's messed up. What have you got against single moms???

JK.