1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hunter Pro C problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ftgulal, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

Have a Hunter Pro C w/ 3 station module. System comes on but will not turn the valves on. Run the system test but no errors come up. Can manually turn valves on and they due work. Have tracked the lines with a line tester and appears there is not a broken wire. When I check current on the box, it shows 12 volts across all the leads when 1 zone is turned on. I have replaced the controller, thinking maybe the transformer was bad, but it is doing the same thing. If I unhook all the zones but 1, it still will not turn the valves on.
  2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

are the wires that connect to the valves in good order? no corrosion or loose/.
  3. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

all the wires seem fine, the system worked fine for about 8 months, then they upfitted a lease space on the same building and then the system has not worked since, that is why a thought the wires were cut.
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

12 volts ain't going to get it done. Did you ohm the wires as well? Your transformer should be a 24v model with an actual output of around 26-27v. Transformers do go bad and that might be all it is. Common wire problems can cause voltage loss that will create what you have described so far. Check the output from the transformer, and then at the terminals. Check it with the valve conected and not connected. Check the ohms on the circuit to the valves that don't work.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If you wire a valve directly to the controller and it works, then the controllers transformer is fine.

With your 12v line voltage, I'm guessing you have a nick in the common wire. Run some 2 or 5 conductor wire over the ground to the valves and see if they come work using that, if they do, its time to start spading new wire in the ground.
  6. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

You can also try this if you have spare wires at the valve box. Switch to another wire as your common and also at the controller. This definitely sounds like a bad common wire.
  7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the voltage coming INTO the controller. Do you have 115v? or something less?
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

9. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

thanks for the replys, I due have 26.8 volts at the tranformer and do have 115 coming in, I guess my next step will be to run a new set of wires and see if that works. Of course it is raining here and will be for the next couple of days, so i will let yuou know the outcome.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no one has said this.. but have you checked the voltage at the valves?????

you can have a nick in the wire and a locator signal will still pass along the wire and you can track it all the way to the valve..

had a fence company put a metal fence post in through a wire one time and the 521 took me all the way to the valve... later found out that the signal was being conducted across the metal fence post, then to the other wire..... gorund wire to boot, and they had poured concrete right after the fence ost was installed... guess where the break was.........

why i hate commercial work.