Hunter PS spray heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Shilohlandscaping, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

I have quite a few customers who have Hunter PS spray heads in their lawns... I like the heads for several reasons, (inexpensive from my irrig place, easy to adjust, easy to replace.. etc) but one thing Ive noticed is that they they tend to turn themselves off. Its usually the full circle heads that do it. Ill go to a job and find a spot thats dry looking and sure enough the head has rotated itself completely around so that its off.

Any way of fixing this short of changing all the heads? I hate having a bunch of different heads in a lawn. Ive almost thought of trying a drop of crazy glue.. :hammerhead:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Given the acronym names that Hunter likes to use, did they really want to name a product "PS" ??

3. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

LOL! good one.. Ive said that a few times after they rotated closed. I like to use the pro sprays when I do an install or complete do over.. maybe I will start replacing the full sprays at least.

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I have ever seen the spray patterns change on the PS is when they are on a pivot point for a larger mower. We have better luck with the PS when compared to a PRO or 1800 series head. We do not use them for 360spray patterns though.

5. It sounds like these are adjustable spray nozzles. Except in rare situations these nozzles are junk in my opinion. A fixed spray nozzle is always a better first option. Adjustable nozzles are an instance of convenience overriding quality.

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Nah, they aren't turning themselves off. They are getting stomped on, most likely by a heavy mower. Strips the internal threads in the nozzle for the twisting adjustment,

This is a known problem with these heads. They aren't meant for a turf area especially as a 360* full circle. I'll post some pics to show what I mean.

7. WalkGood

The Hunter PS adjustable spray nozzle goes from 0* to 360*+

[​IMG]

Just "Twist and Shout".

8. WalkGood

The adjustable nozzle is open.

[​IMG]

Hard to get a clear photo of this thing so close with the light I have near my computer.

9. WalkGood

Almost open a full 360*

[​IMG]

But not quite all the way.

10. WalkGood

This is open too much.

[​IMG]

Anything close to open 360* (like 350*) can and will get stomped down closed.