Hunter ripoffs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Apr 12, 2007.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Can someone (I'm guessing boots) explain this to me... How is it that everyone seems to be able to make an exact copy of what Hunter is doing?

Has it been mentioned here before about the Irritrol rotor I saw today? the guts are interchanable? the cap is exactly the same. They use the same tool to adjust. Seems like bad news for the pgp

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Boots will know; what I know is........I-20 ultra stainless, Toro "stream-
    rotor", Rain-Bird "T-Bird" (no longer made).

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You know you can remove the guts of a Toro Super700 and thread in into a Hunter body? I think a lot of basic patents have expired by now. I'll buy a PGP because the guys who make it have a track record of reliability, not because no one else can offer an identical product.

4. Clock Doc

Clock Doc LawnSite Member

:cool2:

Actually, Hunter did the original "copying". The actual patent for the top adjustment on the PGP is held by KRain. KRain gets a royalty for every PGP sold. Only certain things can be patented, and you cannot patent things like thread patterns, etc. therefore, any company can make what they want, to a point ie. Rainbird sells just the drive assembly that fits in the PGP case. I suppose Hunter should be smiling though, since it is the number one seller and everyone is trying to copy it !! Nelson now has a 6100 that is a PGP knock-off. Personally, I still buy PGPs, can't beat the price.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can beat the price. I can get RB 5004s for $7 each, compared to $8-$9 for the PGP. What you can't beat is the reliability of the PGP

6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

He's right you know!

Found another "Hunter rip-off" controller besides the Irrigation Direct the other day... it's called the Rain Pro and sold by Hit Products. Looks very similar...not sure how the features or price compare...

http://www.hitproductscorp.com/PDF/Rain Pro-M.pdf

But remember... anybody making a modular controller either pays a royalty to Toro, or has an expensive court fight on their hands... at least that's the rumor I heard... :rolleyes:

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, Dr. "K" gets the royalty and just happens to own K-Rain (or does he still?). K-rain has nothing to do with the patents hunter uses. Dr. "K" has LOTS to do with it. And, I'll never remember or spell what the K stands for :)

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Carl L.C. Kah, Jr.

9. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

"All a patent really does is give the patent-holder the right to stop others from producing, selling or using his or her invention. For the life of the patent (20 years in the United States), patent-holders can profit from their inventions by going into business for themselves or licensing the use of their invention to other companies. It is up to the patent-holder to actually enforce the patent" taken from howstuffworks.com

I think there are some other "life" limits on certain patents, take nextel for example their patent expired a couple years ago for the two way patent and every other company could use the technology or "idea" but not during the life of the patent, which who knows how long that was.

according to krains website they currently lease the "reverse mechanism" patent to hunter but that's it.

10. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

As a loyal PGP user I just bought a case of RB 5000s on sale at a supply house luncheon. Know nothing about them. Any predictions on whether I'll like them or not? Don't get delivery for another week or so.