1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hunter Rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jmm706, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jmm706

jmm706 LawnSite Member

I have two Hunter rotors that won't adjust. One feels like they key never touches anything when you insert it. The other feels like the key is engaging but when it is turned there is no change in arc. I've read and re-read adjutment procedures and I am following them correctly. Is there any way to take these apart and fix them? Or should I just get new ones and install them.
  2. keepcuttin

keepcuttin LawnSite Member

Sounds like the adjustment hole gained a stone or filled up with dirt. I find it easier to just spin it out and replace it. Sometimes its not worth the aggravation
  3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter I-10 and I-20 rotors have a lower spray radius screw than the PGP and the Hunter tool needs to be pulled out a bit further. If this is what you are trying to adjust.

If you are adjusting the arc, I don't know what to tell you.

4. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

They could also be full circle rotors - they have the same rubber cap with the hole for the arc adjust but nothing below the hole.
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We got some of these this past summer where I-40 FC had ADS caps (and were in ADS cases) and could not be adjusted because they won't adjust and have no adjustment screw.
  6. PurpHaze

A little extra info as to what model of rotor would be helpful. Occasional problems do occur (right from the factory) and we might know what the particular problem is that you've encountered.

I've run into the occasional PGJ that has no adjustment. You turn the adjustment screw and nothing will happen, as if the adjustment is stripped out. I've run into I-40s that are reversed from normal operation. An internal keeper gets installed on the wrong side of the stop and the sprinkler adjusts exactly opposite with the left side being the permanent side and the right side arc adjustable just like Rainbirds or Toros.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

This summer I found about one PGP per case that had the arc mechanism reversed...I also found a few full circle ones with regular rubber caps.
  8. PurpHaze

Another little Hunter quirk this summer were the cases of I-40s we were receiving that had the nozzle hold/breakup screw threaded in too far. This meant that each screw had to be slightly backed out before installation of the nozzle could be accomplished. No big thing, just an annoyance. I fired off an email to Hunter with my noted problems and got a nice response thanking me for my comments. A couple of the "problems" they were aware of and had already made corrections to at the factory. The screw thing was just an adjustment of the machine that puts it into the sprinkler and that was corrected also.
  9. jmm706

jmm706 LawnSite Member

The one that feels like the key isn't engaging is a PGJ. It is supposed to be set at a 90 arc, but is currently doing about 120. The one that the key inserts OK but has no affect is a PGP. It is supposed to be at a 90 degree arc and is doing about 120 as well. I didn't see any other numbers on the tops.
  10. PurpHaze

If I remember correctly PGJs come preset at about 45*. You might have one of the PGJs like we were having problems with this summer. We purchase so many from our suppliers that their stock turns over quicker than some of their other sprinklers. We will encounter a problem and then it's over rather quickly because the supply has been turned over. When the initial set was done it felt a little like something breaking or excessively racheting inside the sprinkler. Then one of two things would happen; either the arc would be off and could no longer be adjusted or the sprinkler would not rotate at all. The Hunter "through the top" adjusting rotors are pretty much the same and the PGP could be experiencing the same problem. I know it's a pain but I'd return them to your supplier. We just make a phone call and the supplier makes it good the next time we go in. We just toss the bad sprinklers away and never take them in though.