Hunter SRR remote try out!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 11, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I ordered a Hunter SRR remote to try out but after hooking it up to the PRO-C in my garage, it will not function. All is well until I hook up the actual receiver to the SmartPort and then I get an ERR message. And nothing will work.

They mention that shielded SmartPort cable may be necessary on some sites. Any experience with these remotes?

Thanks for the help,

JOhn

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The cable acts like an antenna, and picks up enough power from stray electric fields to affect the controller operation, if the cable is too long. They make a shielded-cable SRR connector, if you need one. I just install the controllers against an exterior wall. However, no matter how long the cable, the ERR message should disappear when the receiver is plugged in. Even with the ERR message, the controller isn't being damaged. (but it won't keep accurate time, so you can't leave it connected)

If you get the ERR message only when the receiver is plugged in, you may need to reverse the red and white wires. On the SRC controllers, the connections are simple - from the left, it's red, white, blue.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

According to the SRR Instruction Manual on the Hunter website:

“ERR” message in controller display when controller is in the run position. SmartPort wiring leads have been extended and are receiving radio interference. Replace lengthened wire with shielded cable to prohibit radio interference. Use Hunter SRR-SCWH. See “Extending Wiring on SmartPort Harness”

Extending Wiring on SmartPort® Harness
    Use shielded cable to connect the SmartPort to the controller if installing the connector more than 2 meters of wiring length from the controller. The use of shielded cable will eliminate the potential for radio interference by preventing the wire as acting as an antenna. At no time should the SmartPort be installed more than 15 meters away from the controller.

For easiest installation, order a Hunter SRS-SCWH SmartPort wiring harness with a full 7.6 meters of shielded cable.

ShieldedCable_SRC.gif

ShieldedCable_ICC.gif

4. Wet_Boots

One thing Hunter may not disclose, is that if (and only if) a receiver is always connected to the harness, the length of the cable becomes meaningless, and no error message will be displayed. That would mean the receiver is 'grounding out' the interference.

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you 'Boots.

I switched the wires around and it works like a champ. What a time and step saver this is going to be at times. Too bad I did not do it earlier.

Thanks to all the info, guys.

John:dancing: :dancing:

6. Wet_Boots

Glad it worked. There is a limit to the range of the transmitter, depending on how much metal and masonry is between you and the receiver. For frame construction on slab foundations, there are usually no problems. A trick to gain a bit of range, is to hold the transmitter to your chin, (like an electric shaver), which turns you into an antenna of sorts. One hopes the radio power is low enough not to kill you, or turn your unborn children into mutants.