Hunter Srv Valve Failure.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jun 18, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We had a zone that would not operate on an install from 2005 with Hunter SRV valves. All was fine electrically but the valve would not operate either from the controller or manually. Took it apart and all looked normal. But would not work. Put a new top end on and started right up. First one like this for me. What did I miss when I had the initial valve apart?

Thanks for the help,

John:confused:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Valve weevils. They'll get you every time. :p

A bad diaphragm could cause that sort of 'won't open' failure.

3. I service a system that had 5 srv valves. I have replaced 3 out of the 5 valve tops with new PGV tops after the same problems. Even new diaphragms, cleaning the tops and new solenoids did not work. The valve manufacture date is 2002.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

On rare occasions we will have one of our Irritrol Century Plus valves do this. We'll remove the solenoid and use a flag to ream out the pitot tube opening which normally does the trick. A small piece of debris will clog this opening and the valve won't function.

5. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

That is exactly what happened to a few of my hunter valves. If you remove the solenoid and there is not a steady stream of water coming out the little hole then it is clogged with some sort of debris. Clean it out and the valve will open like new.