Hunter sub for MaxiPaw?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a Hunter substitute for the MaxiPaw. The MaxiPaw is used extensively here for "dirty" water apps and I am looking for a Hunter option if there is one? Does anyone have experience using specific Hunter heads for river/lake or well supply for the system?

Thanks.

John:cool:

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

The Hunter reps will tell you that the filter on the rotors has a large enough mesh to push dirty water. In one development here we have 4 sytems pulling out of a dirty lake. Three of the systems on Paws and the other on PGP's. Over the last 3-4 years we have not had a problems with the PGP's but every year we have been replacing paws (avg. 2-4 per home) on each of the other 3 propertys.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just put a spindown filter on the mainline...I hate impacts.

4. ShepDog

ShepDog LawnSite Member

If you have enough pressure, try an I20. There is the ATR also, which converts to a pgp rotor. I reccomend going to rotors anyway, considering there is a much better precip. rate and less compaction in the long term. Also, I agree w/ Dirty water. I hate impacts too, but they do have thier place. And there is the old school sound.....

5. Broker

I am starting to stay away from the I-20. I am not sure about each of your areas but overall we work in areas that average 50-60psi static and with that HD spring they just don't seem to run as nice as a PGP. Don't get me wrong I like that features of the head.

6. Broker

I have this one customer. True story..

We installed his entire yard 7 years ago. (DV100, PS-04, ESP-LXI,drip & maxi's) then he decided to add a pool around 3 years ago. And we have to redo his entire backyard. But to keep me honest he got a bid from the largest company (the one that has their own supply house & only deals in Hunter) well we did the job but the other company had sold him on Hunter so much the we replaced all of the maxi's in his entire yard with PGP's. And I kid you not within 3 weeks he called and had us replace all of the PGP's with maxi's. The customer had spent 2.5-3 times the cost on his system then any of the other 60+ systems we did in that development. Different strokes for different folks. That is one of the main reasons why we carry 3 brands and don't just push one product line.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

From experience I'd have to say you're correct in one respect. The I-20s tend to perform better at the higher PSI end of their specs. On the recently completed baseball field project, when the I-20 zones are first fired they work "OK" at best. However, these zones will be on only at night when the rest of the site is watering and the booster pump is activated by another controller. This was taken into account when I designed the system and made the final installs. Then the I-20s look and work great.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I believe your story. Every system around here that draws from a lake or river has Maxi's. The PGP's give too much grief, but make me lots of cash.payup PGP's are used only on systems drawing from potable water sources. I like going by new houses or developements and seeing PGP's used on a system drawing from the non potable sources. I always leave a card.:waving:

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This is a viable observation. But the bottom line is that you installed what the customer wanted even though he was obviously swayed by the "big guys" and what they came up with and supply. If a contractor says, "Those XXX sprinklers are good sprinklers but I feel that the Maxi-Paw would work a lot better because they handle dirty pond water better" and the customer still wants XXX then you have done about all you can. When his XXX sprinklers clog up then he'll have to pay for screen cleanings or replacements.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I still don't understand why people don't install a spindown filter on the mainline. We do this on all ditch water/pond water installs and they usually only have to service that filter once a year.

Then you can use whatever sprinklers you want.