1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hunter SVC Reliability- Bad

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ed2hess, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We haven't used a lot of these battery powered Hunter Valve Controllers but the failure rate is about 30%. I took one out that had an Oct 03 manf. date and is bad.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Try switching to the Nelson Solo-Rain.

We've been using them for a number of years now without a failure. The only Nelson product I like.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have had nothing but good luck with them....

we install mabey 25 a year and have not had one failure yet. (did had one solenoid go bad)

i have found that batteries bought from local hardware stores, etc... don't hold up in them... they have sat on the shelf too long..
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I wonder how to tell when you got a good 9 volt battery....and where to get them.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Even though the valve was 3 years old John Deere replaced it free.
  7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

not for nothin', but i've have a site running 3 latching solenoids off a single SVC 100 for the whole season. i change the battery in april, check it in june, august and again @ the turn off. never had a problem.

on the other hand, i've had 2 Solo Rains go on me this year.
  8. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Don't let them fool you. John Deer didn't replace it. Hunter did....they have a 2yr warranty on anything that is not a "I" series (ICC,ICV,I20....5yr) and on top of that a one year self life to distributor (within reason) It's more of a cushion for the dist. if they don't get warranty items sent back right away.

All in all they are good. Must have good batteries (as stated earlier) and not be submerged in water in valve box.