1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hunter systems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ipm, Jul 16, 2002.

1. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I recently finished a project and it included a irr. syst. I am going to try to explain this a simple as I can. If you are facing the front of the house the grade is lower on the right and higher on the left. There are a couple of zones on the left side of the drive and 1 zone on the right(this zone has only 2 heads). What is happening is when the system shuts off, the 2 heads on the right are draining the lines of the whole system. Well, this is causing a big problem(mud etc). Is there any way to prevent this or should I nix the heads on the right all together?

2. greasemonkey

greasemonkey LawnSite Member

I would add a check valve to the inlet of each of these heads....an HCV - hunter check valve should work it's an inline check valve designed to remedy elevation draining problems I think it's good for upto 10 feet of elevation change.....if the heads that are causin g you problenms are rotary heads you could consider replacing them with hunter I20's w/ check valves built in (I20-ADV), I think the hunter catalog say's they're good for up to 20 feet of elevation change..a pgp may also be available w/ the check valve (PGP-ADV), but the weaker spring in the pgp causes it to not be as effective against residual pressure as the I20.

-J

3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I will try that. Thank you!