1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hunter vs. rainbird

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Leo's, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Leo's

Leo's LawnSite Member

Does anyone else wish that the hunter head had the rainbird nozzel technology in it. I love the durability of the hunter virtually indestuctable but I love the nozzels in the rainbird 5000,
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What's wrong with just using the rainbird 5000 head? No special tool needed to adjust and I have never heard of a problem with them. Hunter is not around here at all, mainly rainbird and k-rain, and one guy that uses nelson. out of all of them I agree that the water pattern on the rainbirds is far superior (at least the newer 5000's) The older ones with the light blue nozzles seemed ok unless u had to use the screw at all then the pattern fanned out wide and made it hard to do edges. The nozzles in the R-50's are the best IMO. But the R-50's are not near as reliable as the true gear drives.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What sort of failures are you seeing in the R-50s? The only gripe I could have with them was the uncertain rotation of the smallest nozzle, unless I set the head to the LP position. Never had a problem with them not retracting. The type of drive mechanism they use is possibly the most reliable there ever was. Ball drive heads over thirty years old are still happily clicking away.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer Hunter heads,I like the fine spray.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I personally think the R-50 heads are a pain in the ass to adjust, especially to get it to go full circle. But they do seem to keep turning, come what may. No question that the market prefers gear drives like the Hunter PGP. But long term, I would doubt they have as good a track record as the ball drive heads of today and yesterday.