Hunza pathlite

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Has anyone used the hunza pathlite recessed fixture or the SPJ one ? I have a client who wishes to have the paths lit but does not want to see pathlights. The theme for the home will be soft and understated.

If possible include your thoughts and possibly a picture. What was your experience with them and was the client happy ?

This is a very high end custom home and it deserves the best. Unfortunatly there will be no mature trees in this area to moonlight from.

2. Pro-Scapes

this is the fixture i am speaking of. Certainly not my first choice to light a path but miles ahead of a paver light that shines up in your face or little dots lining the walkway. If I cant feesibly do these then we will probably either look into pop up lights or leave alone and pray for enough ambient light off the home.

Path%20Lite%20on%20Deck_jpeg.jpg

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen these fixtures up close Billy and they are tanks, as like all of the Hunza line.

4. Pro-Scapes

thanks... im more concerned with how the finished project will look with 3 of these along that curved flag walkway we spoke about in thoes plans paul. I dont question hunza quality. Scared to ask the guys to leave me holes in the flag for em but then have em turn out crappy. Would be sweet if there was a small wall going in there... could even use something like a rope light or integrals under a lip if there was.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Billy

I would think the Hunza Pathlight would be a maintenace disaster when installed flush to the ground (path) as debris, bugs, etc would surround the lenses.

An alternative (less expensive, but probably the same maintenance problems) would be the Nightscaping INTEGRAliter (GD-0402-BR)

The client might just have to give in to some good quality pathlights or be prepared to clean their Hunza's every few days.

Good Luck

6. Pro-Scapes

well that cans that idea then james thank you for that input. I saw on thier site where they had them installed in a deck flush mounted. I never really cared for this type of fixture..

Anyone got infor or experience with the pop up pathlights ?

7. Pro-Scapes

I just got the quote on these. I think this client will be looking at close to 4 figures installed... EACH :eek: :eek: :eek: Dunno about that one. Will see what they say tho.

8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I have installed some of these hunza path lights, and didn't like them too much. You don't get much light output unless the surface is a very light color (white), and trash getting under the shroud is a problem. It terms of their cost, I think you may find a better choice elsewhere.

9. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Billy,

Go to SOLD and borrow one of their SBJ13-300 fixtures. This was the fixtue that Chuck brought in for one of the Gulfport jobs that he and the owner specified and I changed. I brought all of them back so there should be some still there. Looks like a well light, but has a very heavy brass cover and only radiates light in 3 areas. Never dissasembled the fixture, but it seems very robust. I never installed one to see how it performs though. I believe they came with a 35 watt MR16 of who knows what manufacturer.

Burt

10. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Many times a request for soft and understated really should be discussed more in depth so everyone gets a better understanding of what causes a design and install to not be soft and understated. While excessive use of any pathlight will cause a design to get distracting and take away from the natural elements that you are trying to highlight, but with the proper selection of a fully shielded pathlight and then the use of them in only required locations: at steps, major direction changes, at the start of a path, low level seasonal annuals, and or as a visual destination, then pathlights are very soft and understating. While the Hunza line is excellent, any bollard or unshielded marker style path light can be very distracting and overstated and in my opinion have limited use in a residential setting. Example, the MR16 style downlight on a riser is used quite abit in my area as a path light, but in my opinion while they do have a very clean understated look during the day at night they become distracting and overstated, you can use lenses, louvers, screens, and etc. but they still cause glare and hotspots that the eye is drawn to causing you to loose enjoyment of the total visual composition. I would recommend that you look at some smaller head pathlights on 12" risers, FX has a bunch and then work with the landscaper to soften the areas with some plantings around the pathlights.