1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Blo-Vac review

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mowerbrad, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

So I have had the opportunity to demo a hurricane blo-vac this weekend. So far I am very impressed and it definately saves time over using backpack leaf blowers. Since not too many people have had an opportunity to experience this piece of equipment, I want to a least give you guys an idea of how well it works.

If you haven't used a stand-on lawn mower before, this machine is going to feel very weird to you. The unit is pretty light, so manuvering it through lawns is easy and doesn't do any damage to the turf. Plus the machine is extremely narrow, it shouldn't have a problem fitting through 36" gates. The machine is a little light in the front end, but you are able to get off the standing platform and walk behind the unit for hilly areas or hopping curbs. Its fairly comfortable to ride on, the leaning pad is pretty thick and soft, and the platform does have springs in it to help with the bumps.

The controls on the machine are exactly like the controls on a ztr or stander. The one thing you need to get used to with the controls are the switches that open and close the discharge deflectors. Other than that, if you can drive a ztr, you can drive this machine.

The power of this machine is amazing. I own a BR600, which I always thought was very powerful and would go through heavy amounts of leaves with ease...little did I know that compared to this hurricane the BR600 looks like a battery powered leaf blower. If anyone thinks that their push blowers could even compete with this unit, I have to inform you that you would surely be wrong.

The blower's discharge has two separate deflectors that can aim the air up or down. If you aim one deflector down and leave the other one fully opened, you can get the leaves close to the machine (including the one stuck to the ground) and you can blow the leaves quite far distances. Over concrete you can easily blow leaves 30+ feet. In a lawn with moderate leaves, you can easily blow your row of leaves 15 feet in one pass.

Overall I have been very impressed with this machine. Right now, it is a little expensive for me to justify. But I'd say that in a year or two when the price may go down just a little more, I could definately see myself buying one.

Here's two videos for you guys off my phone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MsQWzw8Yec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH3HMwmMBgo

If you have any questions about the unit, let me know.

1106101656a.jpg

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i saw one of these on display at my dealers the other day...do you know how much $$ they go for?

3. mowerbrad

I believe they are about $9000 now. When they first came out they were $11,000 or so. The owners of the company are just north of my town. I've actually met the owners and seen the original prototype machine. They have a great product, I think it definately needs to come down to the $7000 range in order for more people to buy these.

But this unit definately has its place.

4. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Be nice to ride around but for $12 grand I love my Billy Goat 9 horse push blower!

5. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

Yes, they will need to be in a much lower pricepoint to sell many units. Neat idea, but overpriced.

6. GreenGiant94

GreenGiant94 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks sweet! Did you try using the vac?

7. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

did you saw smaller version (less expencive)?
    (pict. from been one of reasent threads)

blw hurr2a.jpg

8. mowerbrad

I wasn't able to get the vac attachment for this demo. I have seen (in person) the vac attachment. It hooks up easy and does have lots of suction.

Haven't seen the smaller version in person yet...only pictures of it on here. The smaller one is definately more economical, but not quite as much power.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

WAY WAY overpriced. :rolleyes::dizzy:

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i'd say thats subjective, depends how much fall cleanup you do, if your small time and only do a few thousand a year in fall cleanups then its not for you. i will tell you what if they drop the big one down to 7-8k i will def buy one without hesitation.