1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hurricane clean up

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Feb 15, 2006.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

wondering if anyone now who i would contact about doing some clean up work in louisiana. looking to go down there this summer with another guy and do some work.
  2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont bother. Everybody works for the sub, who subs it out, who subs it out, who subs it out, who subs it out, so by the time you are the actual guy doing the clean up your making $4-6 per yard. Dont let the FEMA rates lure you in, cause thats only going to the 1 or 2 big GC's in the area.

Do some searches online and try to figure out who is who, it is a logistical nightmare. And when you do start calling, you will get a phone # to call this company, who will give you a # to call that company, who will give you the # to a guy he knows. Its the run around.....

It is a shame too, cause there are lots of guys willing to go, but there is so much red tape it is truly pathetic...........
  3. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i wen to florida after ivan and worked 2 weeks with a skid a truck and dump trailer. i worked around 170 hours and grossed 4 grand and neted -50 trust me not worth it. you will wear you stuff out and not have enogh money to get home. alot of money made just to much spent. it is one of those things that sound better on paper
  4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!! Been there done that! Way too much politics and hype. We were lucky enough to lose expenses, we have heard many horror stories about not even getting paid for work performed. If you can land some private work and get contracts maybe, but the FEMA work is crazy, you will be the fifth man on the totem pole eating the flies. There are a lot of people that will promise you the world and even put it in writing. It will not hold water. Not to mention the requirements "Waiver of Subrogation" on insurance which very drastic. It makes your insurance company give it it's rights to "subrogate" their losses if you are found not at fault. That is very tricky to even obtain. Also all the contracts contain a "paid if paid contract" which means you have no legal rights to your money until they are paid for your work. Another very tricky situation. We were in LA a few months ago and there was millions, yes millions of dollars of equipment sitting waiting for the red tape and politics to be cleared. I wish sometimes someone had talked to me before I signed up and made the trip from NC 1200 miles. Feel free to PM me with a telephone number and I will call you with a few contacts I made while down there, and discuss some of the problems. But I still advise against trying this.
  5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of money to be made.... just not by the people working for it.

How does one get to the top of that mess? (The top being your check has "FEMA" on the top right corner)

It seems like the govt. is too lazy to write more 1 check for clean-up:angry:

I'm not even working that crap when it's my own town!