Hurricane damage!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LiquidLand, Sep 17, 2004.

1. LiquidLand

LiquidLand LawnSite Member

We lost the roof to part of our shop and offices here in Tampa...Ernie's office was really just an eyesore anyway...seriously, I have a problem. We have approx. 128 residential and commercial lawn customers, and do 2-3 install projects weekly. The operations side has come through fine, but now some customers are gun-shy on install work, and we have lost 8 or 9 resi's due to mowing in too wet conditions, and trashing the grass (yes, I told them not to, but they did it anyway). I saw some of the damage to turf, and it is easily repairable, and shouldn't have cost us those customers. I have a feeling my lawn foreman may be a casualty of bad PR, and could be a fall guy when he's really doing his job. Where do I draw the line, and can I call a customer to see if they have had negative confrontations since the storms with my guys?
    :angry: in FLA
    LL

2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Sorry about your losses

If you believe in your Foreman ride the storm out

Your business will pick back up when it's all over and you will need him.

"I call a customer to see if they have had negative confrontations since the storms with my guys?"

(This is the key to the problem)If they cannot contain themselves when upset by a client,and you loose money in the process,discipline should follow.

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think I would call to specifically ask if they'd had problems. If anything, call to make sure there is nothing that has been missed since the storm, explaining that things have been a little more hurried since, and you don't want to let service drop in quality... Or something along those lines. Make it sound like a legitimate call, and if they've had words with your crew, they will tell you!

Find out the crew's side of the story, then resolve the issue. Remember, there are always two sides of the story, it's up to you to figure out what actually happened....

Dan