1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Fay

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

With Hurricane Fay breathing down my neck, This might be my last post on LS. After Hurricane Charlie wiped me out just 4 years ago, I just don't have it in me to start over again. I got in this business after a divorce left me totally broke 15 years ago. I was already retired from a state job at the time. I started in this business with an electric chain saw knocking on doors to trim palm trees in 1993. By 1996 in was cutting grass by day and going to college by night getting my AS in 1999 and BS in 2002. I also became the single parent raising my children in 1996. BTW they both have degrees now and are professionals. 1999 I added pest control. 2000 I added a wholesale nursery. 2001 I became a licensed Irrigation Contractor. 2004 just 50 days after buying a retail nursery, Hurricane Charlie wiped me out. A 1.2 m loss uninsured left both mentally and financially broke. I picked myself up once again and two years ago started a Fert & squirt business and have been doing OK. The lack of stress of a one man band has made me a happy camper this last year. I have been enjoying riding my motorcycle and actually using my boat. I have been doing extremely well with my love of playing tournament pool and winning many tournament. But sometime in the next 12 to 36 hours my world may come to an end. Statistically I have 7.5 years left. But my investment income won't let me live, only survive. I have been hand to mouth before and don't want to go there again. Mother Nature can be a cruel B!tch.

2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Hang in there brother, it aint easy down here, but it will get better.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

Nah ric you can pick yourself up again..but if you decide to not come back your knowladge will be missed...i will still call you......

the weather is nice before a big storm like this.....

and we can find out what the insurance companys aren't going to pay for like they do every time we get a hurricane...crooks

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You never know, but it looks like this one is going to be a minimal Hurricane. Not much time to develop before hitting land. After such a big loss, may have been better to get out of Florida and start over. Florida will always be Hurricane alley. The entire state can be subject to full blown Hurricanes. Not a question of if but when. Just a very risky place to live and Insurance companies are baling out and for good reason. 4 powerful Hurricanes in one year. I don't see how anybody stands the weather stress of living there now after seeing what happened to Miami during Andrew

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

The weather is OK cloudy and cool. But even if I am tanked up and ready to go this morning. I can not morally put out fertilizer and pesticides I know will be washed away by tomorrow night. I know there are those that would. So today will be a long one of waiting.

Insurance companies do have a license to steal. But with half the world trying to get rich off of false claims you can't blame them. Look at the lawyers who advertise on TV. It is lazy greed that has ruined America. BTW my house doesn't have insurance and I only carry liability insurance on every thing else. Insurance companies claim my house doesn't meet the new insurance standards. I am not the only one in that boat, most people without mortgages don't have insurance.

6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah andrew was a bad one and charlie was also a bad one...but before andrew name one that was that bad and hit south florida you have to go back several years and i mean several years to find one...and then look at all of the people who paid for insurance all of those years and didn't need it..and now hurricanes are hitting florida all of the insurance companys are leaving no money to be made so they leave i say once you leave if i was the state i wouldn't let them back in.....

i lived down here since 1972 i grew up down here while growing up we never got hit by a hurricane like andrew whne was that in 1994 thats pretty good if you ask me we were due for andrew and charlie..it our time for hurricane in the next few years it will be somebody elses turn........

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I counted 7 Hurricanes to hit somewhere in FLA since 1960. NOAA website. But really only takes on Hurricane to wipe your neighborhood/City out and/or kill you. Only one Hurricane to cause Insurance companies billions. Just Andrew did $26.5 Billion in damage. $1 Billion in Louisiana and the rest in South Florida.
    Like I said in another thread. We have an invasion Florida people getting out of there and moving here since 2004. Fear or Insurance, they have had enough it seems. Not an easy thing to do if you love where you live. Fla is a great place to me otherwise. I like visiting there

8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

This may sound bad but i hope fay does little damage..but nothing bad though, just enough that some of LCO's get some extra business cleaning up the after math left on peoples lawns..Im sure that fay will blow right over you ric, so don't worry to much bro!

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

If you have driven in my town lately, we are not cleaned up from Charlie after 4 years. There are still blue tarps on a few houses and commercial property in town still has vacant lots with debris on them. Strip malls along 41that have rebuild are now closer to the road with less parking because of our fine zoning & Planning Commission. A lot of people got cheated by the same Zoning and Planning Commission. Building that were condemned and slated to be torn down, where purchased cheap and repaired by investors.

I was in Donna, 1960 and she moved slow, so we had hurricane force winds for 14 hours. Charlie moved fast and an hour and half it was over. I was in the eye of Charlie and even went outside knowing it was only half over.

10. skennedy04

skennedy04 LawnSite Member

Hang in there man,I saw 3 Allstates motorhomes heading sth on I 75 about 2 hrs ago.