1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Ivan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cward, Sep 15, 2004.

1. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Just wanted to give a shout out to all my brother LCO's in the southeast. I hope you all weather the storm safely and may the Lord bless you, your families and this great country of ours.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Thank you, man. Seriously.

I'm in New Orleans, and it seems to be headed right for us. They expect a last minute turn to the East, which would really spare us......but it shows no sign of that yet.

I've got a brand new Generac 5500XL generator, with FOURTY( lol, not a typo) gallons of gas for it. Our windows are boarded up, all equipment is trailered and garaged. Got food, water, etc. If it doesn't make a turn, I think we'll probably get out of dodge at the last minute. Most have already evacuated. (the smart ones)

Hope everyone fairs well through this.

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Nest, It is not really looking good. Don't wait for the last minute to make the decision. Nothing worse than being stuck in a car during a sorm. Hope all goes well for all those affected.

Good Luck
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Get ready for 9+ days with out power .... more fore those in ground zero .... even with a generator it's sucks .... no A/C .... working all day in the heat n coming home to it .... fricken no gas for like 6-7 days .... better stock up on it NOW ..... I had 200 Gallons n it was close when we saw the pumps working n this is only with 2 crews ...... running your crews around in roads which are blocked left n right .... every light a 4 way stop n nobody knows it

Trying to find Ice will be like finding hen's teeth

day after it hits call FEMA asap .... keep ALL reciets related to storm damage, clean up .... food .... laundry .... fuel for the generators .... they'll remeburse for some of it n for some all of it .... generator, chain saw & wet/dry vac .... I'm hoping to get my SBA loan pack anyday now

Ohhhh it's gunna SUCK .... it's the aftermath which is the real storm ....last night was my first night out in a pool hall with A/C n no ice in my beer to cool it down ....n that's 10 days after Frances ....

you all in the ground zero .... my hope out to you fore the best .... good luck .... yur gonna need it !
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

yay, straight towards birmingham!!.....................:(
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!!!! THANK YOU CHARLEY AND FRANCIS.NOT. My heart truly goes out to anyone that could be affected by Ivan. We were 13 days with no power from the 2 storms that hit us (Charley was a DIRECT HIT), it's no fun. Good luck and please be as safe as you can.
  7. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

We Alabamians are getting hammered by Ivan as I type. I am just NE of the storm right now, should hit here any minute. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to the aftermath. My heart goes out to all of those on the coast who received the full impact. I'm sure you are not able to read this right now, but best of luck to you...

Fire up the Stihls boys, we got work to do!
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Well, Ivan left us with branches down in the yard/street, very little rain, and a wallet that is now $1500.00 lighter.

We were spared. Good luck and best wishes to all that it did not spare.

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I just got off the phone with my parents in Pensacola. They had a nerve racking night, but everyone is OK. Some roof damage, trees and branches down. Overall, pretty good shape for the 100+ mph winds they endured.

Unfortunately, they were scheduled to come up for a visit this week. Postponed for now.
  10. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

We are in southeast Al. and we made it throught the storm but had some heavy rain here last night. We were on the outer band that had all the tornados in it from P.C. ,Bluntstown, Marianna Fl.just south of us. Hope everyone faired as well as we did. We never lost power but then we are on the rural electric lines and the ones on ala. power lost there and they are told up to 2 wks. before power. Hope ours holds up. I know it is bad in other areas.