Hurricane mulch system ???????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapozer, Jan 17, 2006.

1. dapozer

dapozer LawnSite Member

Anyone use one of these. I think that my first big piece of equiptment is going to be a scag 36" walk behind and I want to be able to mulch. How much diference is there between the hurricane system and just using the mulch blades and the side close off? I am think springtime when the kbg is fully growing I want to be able to mulch vs bagging it when it is way long.
    thanks
    shawn

2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the mulch plate and eliminator blades on my 48" Tiger Cub. All the plate does is it blocks off the grass from being thrown out and the blades chop up the grass and leaves it in small clippings. The plate and blade combo does excellent with leaves. The whole system stills has the plates and the blades, but with the system it makes a circle around the blade. If u get a 36" with the system, the 2 blades will have its own compartment around it. I don't have one and don't know how well it performs. I priced one and it cost about $400.I would buy the plate because with the 36" not having the turbo baffle, then you could take the plate off and on quickly by removing a couple of bolts. This would be nice in case it is to wet. Plus the plate I think is about $75 plus about $40 for the blades. So much cheaper. Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

3. bpfaeh

bpfaeh LawnSite Member

OK, Im going to revive this thread. I have a 52" Scag Hydro Walk Behind with Advantage deck and am considering buying a mulch kit for it. I know they have a "block off plate" but wondering if anyone has any experience with how this mulch kit works vs regular side discharge. Any info?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We block every mower we have and do not sidedischarge. I installed the full kit with the individual channels to seperate each blade last year on a 48" Tiger cub. It works great on leaves in the fall and okay on wet grass. But obviously if you get a job of cutting down 12" of weeds/.etc. it isn't going to work. And those channels are a bugger to get off/on. I plan to leave the full kit on yearround.