Hurricane Rain and Overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SystemXpert, Sep 28, 2004.

1. SystemXpert

SystemXpert LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

I need some advice. I offer an annual aeration & overseeding service. I'm located in SC. During the past 6 weeks we have had 4 hurricanes/tropical storms dump rain on us. 1 week ago I aerated and overseeded some lawns when I thought hurricane Jeanne was going out to sea. This past weekend as we all know Jeanne made a U-turn and dumped 5 inches of rain on our area.

Some of the overseeded lawns are quite waterlogged. Some areas have matted down dead grass between the living leaf blades. Seed in some areas has started to germinate, but I'm concerned the matted areas are going to kill any seedlings that might be trying to come up.

I could power rake and reseed, but I don't want to do this if I don't have too. i would hate to disturb any seed that might germinate.

Any advice? Should I just apply more seed ?

SystemXpert

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

We have gotten a ton of rain here also from them and I think you'll be fine in the end result as is.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

If its done raining,Id wait it out for a week and then check. Mat just need to spot fix then. Cant never tell what them darn hurricanes are gonna do :cool2: Good luck!

4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

i think the seed will be fine but if you want to....take out your spreader and spread some seed.. it wont hurt to get a little more out there