Lawn Care Forum banner

hurricane sandy SNOW!!!!!!!!!

12K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  alexschultz1 
#1 ·
Well looks like here in the Appalachians were going from fall cleanup to heavy snow removal and with all the leaves on trees after this mess will have to get the chainsaws out for storm cleanup. Probably end up losing power for a while. Not how I want the snow to start. Every year all these idiots have to learn how to drive in the snow again. They will be wrecking everywhere. But 1-2 feet of snow is bad

#9 ·
He never said for free :)

I'm keeping a close watch on this one too, keep us up to date on what's happening

On a good note I think it scared Florida state because the dawgs are holding their own right now!

#10 ·
How much longer until the storm hits you guys?[/QUOte

supposed to start monday. NBC nightly news had Jim Cantore from TWC and he just said parts of WV and the Appalachains could see 50 inches of snow. HOLY CRAP the most I've ever seen at one time was 36 inches and everything was shut down for weeks. Police officers would give tickets to anybody that wasn't emergancy vehicles. I know if we get that much snow the trucks will be parked. Have to use four whell drive equipment

#12 ·
How much longer until the storm hits you guys?[/QUOte

supposed to start monday. NBC nightly news had Jim Cantore from TWC and he just said parts of WV and the Appalachains could see 50 inches of snow. HOLY CRAP the most I've ever seen at one time was 36 inches and everything was shut down for weeks. Police officers would give tickets to anybody that wasn't emergancy vehicles. I know if we get that much snow the trucks will be parked. Have to use four whell drive equipment
50 inches? That's crazy!

#14 ·
Snow with the leaves still on trees is devastating we got a taste of that last Oct. Parts of ct went about 2 weeks with out power. I went up to see my dealer about 4 days after and barely managed to punch through so many streets were closed and one bad one had over a 100 trees down and crossing it. Nothing like driving under a tree held up only by power wires. And the real sad part that was only Hamden and Bethany they got off light compared to up state in that storm.

And no were not getting snow in CT this storm but 60-80 mph winds with gusts around 100 are projected where I live. I got 4 trucks here atm 1 car and 3 trailers I got to move away from the tree line and somehow get them close to the house. Been putting that off all morning but its getting to the point when i have to make that move.

#16 ·
Snow with the leaves still on trees is devastating we got a taste of that last Oct. Parts of ct went about 2 weeks with out power. I went up to see my dealer about 4 days after and barely managed to punch through so many streets were closed and one bad one had over a 100 trees down and crossing it. Nothing like driving under a tree held up only by power wires. And the real sad part that was only Hamden and Bethany they got off light compared to up state in that storm.

And no were not getting snow in CT this storm but 60-80 mph winds with gusts around 100 are projected where I live. I got 4 trucks here atm 1 car and 3 trailers I got to move away from the tree line and somehow get them close to the house. Been putting that off all morning but its getting to the point when i have to make that move.
good i don't want snow yet, but i'm ready if we get it, my saws are all sharpened, oiled, gassed, and cleaned up. i have 9 gallons of gas on hand which is enough for a lot of tree work. 40 gallons of diesel in my truck, 100 gallons in the transfer tank, mini excavator is loaded up on the trailer, full of diesel ready to work, dump truck is filled up, throw line is in the bag, 5/8th rigging line with a 16,500 breaking strength for pulling trees over is coiled in a bucket, and my can't hook and 8lb maul and wedges are at home ready for work. ready to see some trees fall. :waving:

#18 ·
I live about a mile from the bay here in nj. Low lying areas are already flooding out. Getting pretty windy as well, it's going to get ugly around here. It's ashame to see the beaches get destroyed. I live about ten minutes from Sandy Hook and our beaches take a real beating. Good luck with all that snow man.

#21 ·
Sure hope so but local weather and weather channel says 12-24 and locally higher amounts. Check Bluefield Va up through Beckley WV and up into Snowshoe Wv and I bet your weather is wrong. Usually if they call for 12 inches here we get 15-20 because the storms get caught up in the spine of the mountains and wring out every bit of moisture

#22 ·
Sure hope so but local weather and weather channel says 12-24 and locally higher amounts. Check Bluefield Va up through Beckley WV and up into Snowshoe Wv and I bet your weather is wrong. Usually if they call for 12 inches here we get 15-20 because the storms get caught up in the spine of the mountains and wring out every bit of moisture
that's not my weather, that's the national weather service. i live in manchester,ct but you are right for snowshoe, wv you guys could be looking at around 2ft by wednesday night but then saturday its supposed to hit 51 so i would expect all of that to melt. better get out and plow everything as fast and safely as possible. should be a nice bonus for you guys if you can keep up with it, and have the supplies stocked up.

here see for yourself
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...ite=all&smap=1&searchresult=Snowshoe, WV, USA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.