HURRY and HELP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

its going to get real ugly around here this week. snow/sleet/rain mix. i received a call today from a guy that is willing to pay GOOD money for a leaf cleanup. i need to an absolute emaculate job. he is a big name around here and said if he's happy with me, he has A LOT of work to be done next year. anywho, i have been dumping leaves in the back of my truck this year. HUGE PITA. so i want to put up walls on my trailer to haul them away. what is the best way and fastest way to do this? i have a 6X10 US cargo, split gate, rails around it about 2 ft high. utility basket in the front. thanks for the help guys, and i look forward to visiting home depot in the morning. :blob3:

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I used three sheets of plywood held on with 2X4's. Looks ugly as hell but it's only temporary. I put a sheet on each side and cut one to fit the front. Use the 2X4's to brace and stiffen it up. Good luck with the job!!!

3. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

that is the best way to do it on a budget
    good luck
    Shawn

4. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

What about calling someone who has a truck loader and paying a small fee to have them sucked up after you make piles?

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Just make sure you price it to make the "good money" he said he was willing to pay. Many people will try to lure you with future work, and if you price too low, they will expect low prices on the future work.
    Crawdad

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

AMEN Crawdad....Amen....charge what its worth....what "might" happen in the future is totally uncertain...

7. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I've got a trailer with the basket front also. I was thinking of doing the plywood thing and hitting it with a coat of semigloss black paint to make it a little more permanent and not as ugly. What do you think is it worth the time?

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, it is worth the time painting. My 5x8 trailer has 5' sides that are painted black to match the trailer. I have four vertical 2x4s on each side and two verticals in the front. My trailer is made of 2" angle iron, and the on the rails, the lip of the angle iron face outward. I mounted the 2x4s with the 2" side touching the trailer. I took the circular saw and made one cut into the 2x4s where it needed to "take" the anlge iron. I mounted the 2x4s on the outside of the trailer and bolted them to the rail and screwed them to the floor. Then i mounted the plywood to the inside and it holds together very well. I did this this spring for mulch, and it has held up very well. I just used it for leaves this week and it helped alot.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Big name or not, price the job as if he was anyone else. Many many many many people try this trick. That line is used to get you to hurry up and get there, and to give them a low price hoping to impress them enough to get more work.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Gee Hoss,

I don't understand. Do you mean some people would be so cunning as to try a ploy such as that? Never happen.

Bob