Hurt myself, getting behind

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by grassbandit, May 3, 2005.

1. grassbandit

grassbandit LawnSite Member

I hurt myself in a four wheeler accident on Sunday. It is now Tuesday and I am able to walk around the house a little bit. Only two days behind for now, but I know I won't be back in business for another couple of days. Any words of encouragement or advice would be great. I can't be the only idiot that didn't think about the consequences of being a small business owner and getting hurt.
    Thanks

2. fromTEXAS!

fromTEXAS! LawnSite Member

just dont do dangerous stuff.

3. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

For the future, I would find someone who would be able to fill in for you. Maybe a friend who would like to make a little extra cash. Have them work with you for a few hours here and there to get him familiar with your equipment, etc. Then if something unexpected comes up, you'll just be able to let him handle it for a few days.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hasn't happened yet, knock on wood, but my number has to be coming up soon. I've had a couple scares some badly twisted ankles, strained back, etc. that has stopped me from doing anything for a day here and there which has made me wonder what I would do if I hurt myself so badly that I was out of commission for weeks. I am friends with a couple LCOs and between them they could probably absorb my clients, I wouldn't lose my customers to them, but I wouldn't make much money after paying them to do my work for me.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, this form of entertainment will put you in harm's way. I would find something else to do for fun IMO.

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

thats the reason why my former boss sold his harley-davidson

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Sell the 4 wheeler, get another lawnmower and take up golfing. That should cure you for awhile.

8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Grab one of your buddies and try to get out there.also talk to any family to help out.Sorry I dont live closer or I'd give you a hand.i'm not going to tell you not to have fun,but you do need to think about what your doing before you do it...

9. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: j/w what type of atv you have and what happened w/the accident?

i'm a former atv rider myself, i do alot of offroad riding w/400 cc & 500c (polaris & honda) 4wd atvs.... always a great way to relieve stress on the weekends... but now i see where it can make u stress on the weekdays from the weeknds...

just be careful in the future when out riding, atvs are as dangerous as anything else and should be respected... :)

10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you should (and probably are) thankful it wasnt worse, In a month when you are doing great, wont seem so bad. Every day has risks, I try to minimize it, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope you are jamming soon!