Husband wants to start his own Company

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by harley79, Jun 15, 2007.

1. harley79

harley79 LawnSite Member

Hi my husband wants to leave his job and start his own landscaping company. His one worry is health insurance we have 3 kids ages are 5,3 and 4 months. We live in Massachusetts any advice would be great.

Thank You Tammy

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have health insurance now? If you do, with three kids - that age, I wouldn't give it another thought. Stay with the benefits and pension. If he wants to do it part time, then fine. I'm not being a pessimist - just a realist. Now, if he is one of these lucky guys that you (the wife) carries the benefits, then that is a different story.

3. eauxkielawns

eauxkielawns LawnSite Member

I live in Oklahoma so this may not apply in Mass., but here is an option to look into. The local Chamber of Commerce offers health insurance for small business' called Chamber Blue Cross. You have to join the Chamber, prices vary depending on the size of your business, but this also opens doors for commercial accounts as well.

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does he have any experience? Do you have plenty of money to get over the start up hurdles? If not maybe keep the day job and go part time with the landscaping for a while. How about working for one of the bigger landscape companies and earn while you learn and keep your benefits. The fail rate for new small business's is very high the first couple of years. Keep us posted and good luck.

5. harley79

harley79 LawnSite Member

Thank You Runner and eauxkielawns

Runner- my husband is just so miserable in his job he fights everyday to stay there. We do have health insurance now Blue Cross Blue Shield it just kills me to see him miserable. I am hoping there is other health insurance we can pick up if he starts his own company.

Tammy

6. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I left my full time job and pay $450/mo for health coverage...I had a baby 3 months ago and it STILL cost me over $12,000.00 There is NO good health insurance if you are self employed...

7. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would (and I am) stay with the present job and get the other off the ground part-time and once it takes off he can find another job with benifits to take its place. Hope this helps and Good luck I truly know how it feels to be stuck in a job you hate.

8. harley79

harley79 LawnSite Member

Hi Razor he worked as a landscaper for 15 yrs and this is what he loves to do. As far as money No the only safety net we have is his 401k and that is for retirement. He is also thinking of subletting through a very good friend of ours.

Hi Ric3077 that is what we pay now for health insurance a month through his job.

9. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Gee it costs you guys to have a baby and you have health insurance, here you get a few thousand to help you with the babys expenses, some of you fellas must be doing it tough it you have just had a baby.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Let me tell you a little bit about health insurance...all you need to know actually.

For a small company it really eats into profits...what we have at our surveying and engineering company is United Health Care (Medical savings account) and is really expensive (About $4000 per month for about 13-14 employees). The deductable for our insurance is $2800 for individual, and $5600 for family...100% is paid after deductable...2 free visits to doctor each year and discounts on prescriptions.

What your husband might be able to do is get a job at Home Depot or Lowes (If he really cannot stand his job) and do landscaping on the side....these places have great insurance. I actually know a person who does this exact thing.