1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Husband Wants To Work, Wife Yells At Him?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J. Bret Holder, Aug 31, 2002.

1. J. Bret Holder

J. Bret Holder LawnSite Member

Check this one out guys. I have a regular day job that pays me an OK salary. I used to be an LCO for seven years. I stopped about a year ago, and then decided just recently that I would pick up a few yards for some extra money. Well, we have a good reserve of money in the bank, so I went out and purchased a new Shindaiwa T-270 trimmer and Shindaiwa EB-630 blower, did not need a mower since I had one of my machines from before; good old reliable, a Commercial TORO 22040.

I told her that I was going to go out and get this equipment, and so I purchased it to make extra $. Anyway, I'm out cutting grass, ours and the neighbors, and she sees the new blower while I'm out there sweating my ***** off, and tears into me for buying the equipment.

Come on, I could understand if I had spent $ on electronic toys or something, but man she ripped my head off. I took her abuse for about as long as I could, and then finally blew up and yelled back, exclaiming that I am doing this for her and my son! I'm just trying to work for cryin' out loud!

Is there something she can take to treat her condition?
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

do you really want this dirty laundry aired here??

i guess if you just need to tell us so its off your chest, ok. but this sounds like something between you and your wife.

PS her condition is being a women-the options on treating this you likely won't be interested in:D
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a communication problem.
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

we may be hearing only one side of this.. why did you get out of the biz before? did you invest alot of money in new equipment and lose your butt? did you discuss these purchases with your wife before you made them? has she ever accused you of spending money on hair brained ideas in the past? if so she may think this is one too.
  5. J. Bret Holder

J. Bret Holder LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback re: "my dirty laundry".

Oh yes, I'm not perfect, this is true. I just wish to relay another subject of the life of an LCO. This could be a situation of the opposite gender as well.

Thanks to some of you for the constructive criticism, and to those of you who recognize that there's usually two sides to the situation, and to those who have responses regarding both angles.

I am just interested to see what kind of feedback that I would get from my post.

This is a great online community, you all have my respect.

6. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

So you say you have an irrational, out of conrol, angry women?

Are there any that are not? A few probably but now many.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's in the book; the story of the dog and the tail. The tail does NOT wag the DOG!:D
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

J. B.--you did a bad thing buying all that new stuff.

women have a problem in general with us guys having fun. and new toys are a bunch of fun to play with.

resist the yack back and take her on a date with your first money you make with the new toys. she'll get past it.

by the way...we spent a week at LE PAVILLONE (sp?) this spring courtesy of my wifes job. we did burbon street everynight and loved it.
  9. What does she tip the scale at?
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I think you posted this message to the wrong forum, dude. Go do an internet search for "marriage counseling forum" or something.

But yes, I agree with you. She should understand why you're doing it and should be supporting you instead of yelling at you.