Husband/Wife teams

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by truenorthlandscaping, Mar 11, 2005.

1. truenorthlandscaping

truenorthlandscaping LawnSite Member

How many of you successfully work w/your wives out there? My wife has major administrative skills, we're trying to decide if we cut the security of her 30 hr/week job w/benefits to come on 20 hours/week w/my company, without KILLING each other! Can it be done? Are any of you doing it? Is it working? All I know, the administrative HEAP just keeps getting bigger, & it's burying me. I'd rather keep the $ in the family, than pay someone that's good $15+/hour in a non production position.

2. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My wife quit teaching to do this full time. Of course teacher's don't make much. She's not afraid to do anything I do. And she does a good job. We enjoy speading time with each other and get along well doing it. She also handles the books and I handle the pricing. But we both know how to do the others job and sometimes do. I've found alot of people like seeing the husband/wife team out there. Plus she's great at selling jobs. She's a real people person.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think a woman can handle and deal with a customer in a slew of issues much better than a man personally...

4. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have been throwing this around for some time now, and still can't make a decision about it I like to run thing's my way and I know that my wife would have alot to say about certain way's of doing things? let us know how u make out.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Joe, any more development on the sale?

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My wife works with me in the field as well as taking care of all the billing and administrative functions.
    She uses the Toro WB with a Pro-slide and learned it in 5 minutes. It helps me tremendously. She began working with me 3 years ago just about the time when I was getting a little tired of doing lots of work and was considering a helper.
    I would say to let your wife start at her own pace and make sure she likes what she is doing or else you WILL kill each other and have plenty of opportunity to do so.
    Now my lawn business isn't my only line of work but I run it as a legit business that does take many hours of work per week. We do have a built in safety net and she doesn't really have to come out every day I am out there but she does unless there is a function with the kids.
    Either way I would say it depends on your relationship as well as if your wife wants to do the field work. An answer of Good and Yes is a good start to keeping the bucks in your pockets (more hers than yours :D )

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I guess i'm not the only one going through changes my wife is calling it quits after working for the county for 19 yrs. and coming to work with me part time for the same reasons , to keep the expenses down like workman's comp and payroll taxes.

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like the commercial says " Just di It"....I wish I could have my wife work for me, she has a full time job, plus is helping me with this endeavor.....puts 50 hours in at work and then tries to keep me on track......she has planter something with her foot, so she can't be in the field, which I think would be neat.......it works as long as you don't piss each other off!!! ;)

9. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Rod not yet! this week we will do negotiation!

10. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

My wife works with me. She's a great sexatary, and gets regular bonerses. And when she has to talk to the client, it's prolly not good, and if she has to talk to an employee, he's prolly getting fired.