1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Husband-yes / Wife-no!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Aug 21, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who wanted some work done and HE (husband) tells me how he wants things done. So I go to the prop and start measuring and the SHE (wife) comes out and asks what I'm doing. I tell her that her husband called and wanted some work done a certain way. She said that she does not want it done the same way the husband wants it done and said don't be surprised if things "change". I told her that I did not want to be in the middle and she and her husband need to figure out what they want. That was 10 days ago. 2 days after I measured the husband called and asked if I had the estimate done yet. I asked him what exactly he wanted done and he told me the same thing he said the 1st time I talked to him so I figured him and the mrs. worked things out. I asked him if it would be alright if I did the work today (I'm way behind) and he said it would be fine. I show up there this morning (25 miles one way)with 1 helper and unloaded the skidsteer to start work. I didn't get 50 feet and the wife came out in her robe and chewed me out. She said she didn't want the job done the way her husband did and then continued to chew my azz. Just so happen that the husband was not home at the time so I told my helper I didn't need this f-ing s*it and we loaded up and left. I don't think I have ever been talked to in such a degrading manor as the wife did to me this morning. What should I do?
    Keep in mind that I make about $3500+/year on this customer and would rather not lose the account. I have never had a problem with this cutomer b4 (2 years). Husband pays all bills / Wife does not work.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

All Ferris, I hate to run into these situations. Almost all my husband/wife arguments is how they want the shrubbery trimmed. I actually had one couple to get into an argument so bad that I got the heck out of there.If you do the work the husband tells you when he is there, the lady will become your worst complainer. Every time you do work for them she will find something wrong. If he pays the bills and he gives into his wife then he will never be happy with your work. Its a no win situation. I really dont know what answer to give you for this one but whatever you do someone is not going to be happy and you WILL hear about it from here on out. Domt make their problems your problems. I would let the husband know you was talked to rudely and it will not happen again. The more I think about it, the more that 3500 seems less important. No amount of money is worth this kind of sh-t. Im curious how this one turns out, keep us posted. Wished I could give you the perfect answer. BTW, think of how much time and GA$$ you wasted going over there already.
  3. all ferris

He WILL be billed for the time and fuel wasted! And I will keep you guys posted.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Good! And you should add on a "cussing out" surcharge (sounds like something BG would come up with). I really don't know at this point if the husband asked me to do it if I would touch it unless the wife was in agreement and ACTED like she wanted you to do it. These are touchy situations like this.
  5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

well she has half the money and all the (well you know the rest) its just a matter of time and she will get her way..
  6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I would speak with the husband on the phone and let him know situation on what is going on. I would aslo make it a point to tell him that you were ready to start the job, unloading equipment and then you were stopped and spoken in an inappropriate manner and that you didn't appreciate this at all. Make sure that you bill him for all wasted time.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Who signed the contract or work order?
  8. all ferris

He did......
  9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

if HE signed the work order, or contract, HE has the final say, not her. I dont take my orders from anyone unless its the person I'm being paid by to do the work. otherwise, I wont even touch it.

if I get cussed out, I will load up my truck, and drive off, plus drop that person from my list. I dont need crap like that.
  10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I would have just ignored her and continued to work. They obviously have a problem and you are there just doing your job. Dude people like this make me so damn mad, they say they want it done one way then change their minds and then in the end they are unsure of what they wan't. I would have said make up your mind now or find someone else.