Huskavarna PZ Series?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtmower, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have any hands on opinions on the PZs? I'm trying to purchase new this spring and looking at Hustler SZs, Exmark, or if I really want to travel, Scag.

Found this info when on another thread.

I have to say I like the way the machine looks and is built plus I do have a local dealer:clapping: Since I'm looking for a 60 inch I go there. I start comparing mowers throwing out the small horse power and looking at the bigger stuff (I'm insecure):eek:

Of course I also had to look at their speed:hammerhead:

First I looked at the PZ6034FX and everything looks good and it has 12 mph forward and 6 mph rev. Acceptable. If everything stacks up like warranty, build quality, QOC, etc. I may have to take a look.

Then I looked at the PZ6029D Kubota option. More is better right? And low and behold it's rated at 14 mph forward and 7 mph rev Now I see I may need to step up and consider buying my first diesel.

Then..... I see this other PZ6034ZT. And I'm thinking, what the heck. Another company with their head in the wrong place making a stupid "so close to another model" model just to look like they have lots of mower options to chose from. I'm guessing it has a different seat or a spoiler for the extra $300 dollars. But no. 18 mph forward and 6 mph rev. This is faster than the SZ and Cheetah and I never hear anything about it from Huzky or owner/operators. Maybe it's top secret or new for 2012?

Does anyone know of a reason not to buy a Huzky over the other big contenders out there? Any pros or cons to diesel vs gas. I know diesel cost more, have more torque, and should last longer, but when gas engines cost less up front and can go 3000-4000 hrs already, the rest of the mower is shot anyway.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

husqvarnas are great mowers. the problem is there aren't many dealers out there for their commercial line of mowers. where i live there are dealers for their commercial trimmers/blowers, etc. but the mowers are the residential line.
  3. playersc

playersc LawnSite Member

Please do not get caught up in the max speed of a mower because unless you are mowing a ball field or something similar you will not be traveling 12mph. I purchased a PZ6029FX that just hit the 300hrs mark and the machine has performed perfect with no issues anywhere. The PZ6034ZT has the addition of an 18mph capability for transporting (not for mowing) this info was from the salesman when I purchased my mower. I purchased a mulch kit later that has worked great but would have went with OCDC if I had know it was available. I hope this helps Bradley.
  4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Maybe JimQ will see this and pipe up. He knows quite a bit about these mowers.

I posted this in your other thread, but I guess I'll put it here too, since it is about the Husky Z's.

The new Husky's are top notch. Their deck is amazingly close to the 7 Iron in design and should cut just about the same. They resemble them much more so than about any other deck out there today. Here's a link to the Husqvarna website and that particular machine. It uses the exact same hyrdo's as the Cheetah, so it's no suprise on the speed. My guess is that there must be some difference in final drive gearing between it and the Cheetah to make the 2 MPH difference, because the drive tires are the same size. There are a few reviews there to read at the bottom of the page too. Maybe that will help you out.
  5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I always have to smile and shake my head when I read about mowers and the "battle for top speed". I'd like to be able to have an honest (accurate) account of how much actual running time is spent on a zero turn, whether mowing or in transport, traveling above, say....10 mph. much additional money was spent for that capability.

Now I know there are exceptions, even several on this site, but I'll bet the average person would be surprised at what a tiny percentage of time was put on the hr meter at or above 10 or 12 mph. Now think about 16 mph, 18 mph......huh? :dizzy:

There's always gonna be the pi$$ing contest of "my mower is faster, I can mow faster, my dad can whip your dad" sort of thing, but come on. I'll bet there would be a lot of people surprised at how much extra money was spent for something so seldom used, and what affect the additional shaking of running at WOT/FS had on the mower (over time) when it was used.

In my case when I do hit "full stick" it's only for a very short period of time....obstacles and rough terrain see to that. In my case I'd say less than 2% of my time is at my Z's top speed of 13 mph, so it wouldn't be very smart for me to spend any money at all on a mower that will go faster.

But, I understand the appeal (to a certain group of people) about having a mower that will go faster than their counterparts....I'm that way about cars. :)

Now before everyone that mows fast jumps on me, remember.....I said "there are exceptions", and I said "some, not all" ! :laugh:

Just something to think about (while dodging the trees coming at you...... at nearly 20 mph)!!!!!!!!!!!!. Stan
  6. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not too sure what I think about the 2 speed set up on either this or the Scag. More parts mean more potential for problems, not been out long, and so on. I wonder if the diesel is the more common single speed system?
  7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I just read somewhere a couple days ago that it isn't a true two speed trans. It is all one speed, but the two notches on the selector set the top speed in either of the two posistions. Basically they're just two different stop points to the same set of sticks, if that makes any sense. That's why Scag advertises that you can shift the Cheetah on the fly.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it's not really a transmission gear change or anything. personally i've never even mowed at full stick on my mower and the top speed is 10.5mph on it. the normal speed is in the 7-9mph range and that's on wide open smooth yards. i guess if you were only cutting off 1" of grass or something you could go a little faster but most of the time i'm cutting off 2"-4".
  9. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

I picked up two pz6030 last year and both have about 1300 hours and no major hickups. They are built well and can really take a beating. Will probably get two 72 inch huskys this year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone is using the same Transaxle for their "2-speed" systems.

Hydro-Gear 5400

The key to the additional speed control of the 5400 is the variable displacement wheel motor. Conventional wheel motors are fixed displacement. The wheel motor in the 5400 is sort of like the pump in reverse. When you want to go faster on your z, you push the sticks forward which increases the pump displacement and moves more oil to the wheel motor. In the 5400, you can increase flow of the pump for more speed, but you can also reduce the displacement of the wheel motor which requires less flow for the same speed.

So, sticks forward, increase the output of the pump, go fast...

Engage the "transport gear", decrease requirement of wheel motor, go even faster.

I hope I didn't confuse things even further. :laugh: