Husky 25R trimmer died (20 years)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trouthead, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Dead might not be 100% true but it needs a new gas tank, won't start, and runs like crap when it does run. If I can find a gas tak it will be approx $45.00 so it is not worth fixing. It got homeowner heavy duty use with more than 75 trees, and 30 fence post to trim bi weekly. Time for a new one, but I do live in the middle of no where Wyoming. Honda looks interesting with a dealer 150miles away, Stihl is available 130 miles away, Husky right in town. No Tanaka or Echo.

Could I risk Tanaka with no ealer within 300 miles??? How about the Honda only 150 miles away.

I know they each have their strong and weak points. I'd like them to start, not on the first pull necessarily but at least within 5 pulls orso, and not need to go to the dealer every year. Would also like to be able to put a solid trimmer on it. What do you guys think.

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a shindaiwa dealer near you? They're very dependable and usually start on 1st or 2nd pull. I believe they have huskys at Lowes, theyre decent. Shouldnt have much problems, but arent true commercial units.

3. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

No Home Depot or Lowes within 130 miles, and no Shindaiwa dealers. I did notice a typo in my first post. Stihl is only 30 miles away, NOT 130. Tanaka's Rep thinks I'd be fine with a Tanaka, but he might be just a bit biased. Still might go that route. The Honda scares me with weight, price, and the fact that the shaft is only bushed not bearinged, at least according to the specs I can find. I should also add that I don't love yard work and that too much power is probably just enough. I cut with a Hustler Super Z 60 incher, and finish the yard in 45-50 minutes, so a big trimmer is headed this way 27CC or 32CC. Would love some other opinions.

4. Natureboy6

Natureboy6 LawnSite Member

My 25r just died last week. It has good compression. My dealer said it needs a new carb. and is not worth fixing. Anybody have a source for one? I can part it out if I have to.

thanks, Jd

Trouthead, I recommend getting a replacement from your "local dealer". If you would prefer getting it online I have had very good luck with Bailey's.
    http://www.baileysonline.com They are headquartered here locally and have a very good reputation.

5. Thomas Wall

Thomas Wall LawnSite Member

I like Stihl a lot, I have a FS 90 and some FS 45's. They all have worked great, and I wouldn't have anything but a Stihl for weedeaters.:usflag: