Husky 322L trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by caseysmowing, Oct 22, 2012.

1. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I got this trimmer for free the other day and wanted to get it running right. It started right up about two pulls and revs up and idles fine. The problem is when start trimming with it it wants to die out. This trimmer has little use on it because it was a homeowner's and I know the guy. I havn't done anything to it yet so what should I start with first??
  2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

First, check the exh. for a clogged spark screen and or a clogged exh. port at the cyl. Pull the plug and check condition and gap.
    Then make sure the fuel lines are not split/cracked etc. and the filter is flowin.
    If the above are OK , then its time to look into the carb, possibly adj the HS needle, if it has one.
  3. caseysmowing

I'll dig into it this week some time. I did check the fuel lines and played with the setting on the carb. One thing I did notice was that when I sprayed fuild film on the carb linkage the tone of the motor change which I don't think is a good thing haha. I tighten the bolts on the carb but that didn't fix it. Maybe it need a new gasket from the carb to the block.
  4. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like Fish said, check the spark arrestor screen and exhaust port first. That's the most likely culprit.
  5. caseysmowing

Had some time yesterday so I dug into it. The exhaust was ok but the screen in the carb was packed full of gunk. I can't believe it started so easy with all that crap. Put it back together fired on the first pull. It ran fine before under no load but would die under load. Not really any grass right now but I took it out to the edge of the woods and cut some vines with it. Seems good to go just need to get a new air filter for it. Husky filters are junk compared to stihl commerical stuff.