husky catcher & mulch set up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kimberjim, Jun 9, 2005.

1. kimberjim

kimberjim LawnSite Member

I have a husky ztr4821hp kawasaki which at the moment is a side discharge. does anybody know anything about how to fit a catcher unit, and how well the set up actually works, in terms of clogging, blower unit, efficiency, trouble shooting, pros and cons. also how to set up an efficient mulch system unlike the factory unit? thanks for your help.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to run a husqvarna 61 in 25hp. Husq makes side catchers and rear baggers (about 1500usd) for thier ztr's I Thier mulc kit works fine but you wont be able o switch between mulching and bagging without lifting it up and unbolting the mulchkit and swapping the mulch blades to hi lifts.

I would look into the accelerator (they are a sponsor on here) catcher. aluminum and look really nice. What I did was just fabricate a block off plate for mine and it worked ok. I just had it for when I do residentials in town.

Hope this helps. I work PT at a husq dealer so if you need help PM me

3. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

Kimberjim,
    If you want to check out our catchers we have some pretty good pictures of them mounted on the Husqvarna mowers on our website. Here is a link:
    http://www.acceleratorindustries.com/mower models/husqvarn.htm
    List price for the regular size catcher is $359.00, for the Jumbo it is $499.00. If you have any questions or are interested in our catchers feel free to give me a call.

4. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

One thing I neglected to mention. The mower in the link is a 61 inch deck. If you have a 48 inch deck (from your model number I think you do) the hookup to the mower is the same.

5. kimberjim

kimberjim LawnSite Member

Thanks guys..

The Husky will be used to remove about 3/4 ton of grass a day, once a week.Im a bit concerned the accelerator may mean a lot of extra work to empty .What do you think...?

6. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

Kimberjim,
    Hopefully some of our users here on lawnsite can give you some feedback. I can see where you would be concerned about having to empty the catcher too many times. I would suggest that you get the larger size catcher, which will give you a good percentage of the capacity of even a rear bagger system. Also, on many lawns you can set up a pattern after a bit of trial and error where you can end up at the truck or dump point right as the catcher is getting full. Another thing some of our users do is to use high lift gators on their machines. This shreds the clippings so they will pack more tightly in the bag, and the very smallest peices fall to the ground reducing total volume. That said, you would have to empty fewer times with a dedicated vac system. You would have to balance this agaist the lower cost and simplicity of our catcher. Hopefully it comes out in our favor!