Husky oil cooler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Harrell, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed the oil cooler on the Husky is down where there is little air flow. The dealer said it won't matter because they use synthetic oil. I also noticed that Bob-Cat places theirs on top of the engine which draws fresh air down into it. Anyone have experience/opinions on this?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'll assume you're talking about the hydro oil cooler. On top of the engine is the best place for it but to just have a cooler at all is a good thing. A lot of companies don't bother and some do. The machines with coolers seem to have less trouble.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 52" Husky Z and have wondered why they didn't mount the cooler above the engine. Looks like it would be a simple project to move it but I'll wait til it's out of warranty to do it though.

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The quantity of oil should be sufficient to dissipate heat regardless of where the resorvoir is. I have put my hands on the pumps, lines and resorvoir after running the mower for an hour or more. It's warm, but not too hot to touch. A car engine gets far hotter, as does the Kawi on my mower. These don't break down the oil, why should the hydro pumps?

5. Richard Martin

eslawns, I don't really think it a problem with the oil breaking down as much as it's a problem with the wheel motors and pumps. The Scag is one of the heaviest mowers around, they have no provisions for oil cooling and they seem to have a lot of hydro problems. The Ferris is just about as heavy as the Scag and they have added wheel motor fans in the last couple of years. Even Exmark has changed to an aluminum reservoir to try and get the hydro oil temps down. Dixie Chopper avoids the problem with quad loop hydraulics, a 5 quart reservoir and a cooler.

With so many companies trying to get the oil temps down don't you think that there may be a problem?

The increased speeds and loads are driving the current generation of hydro systems to the brink of failure and the only way to make them last longer is to cool the oil.

6. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

You need to look again at Scag. They do have oil coolers on them now. The problem they had was with the motors themselves. Scag don't make there wheel motors.
    You know, alot of people on here bash Scags without ever owning one. But I have to say around here where I'm at every 4 out of 5 trailers have a Scag on it. I'm wondering if there so bad, why do they sell so many to repeat buyers?:confused:

7. Richard Martin

I'm glad to see that they fixed that problem hubb. There still is a problem though with cut quality in transition zone grasses/weeds.

8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Richard Martin,

Sorry, I was responding to the original thread Husky oil coolers. Since this is the only ZTR I have any real knowledge with, my comments are limited to that. However, if there are problems with pumps and wheel motors, it's because the oil broke down. Any fluid will act as a hydraulic medium. We use oil because it is stable over a wider range of temps than water based products, and because it acts as a lubricant.

You are correct about the factors affecting the oil temps, but IMO all they really need to do is increase the oil capacity. If you've ever seen a race car, the oil pans are enourmous for this reason. I'm not a design engineer, but the solution seems pretty simple to me.

BTW, my Husky uses straight 20W50 motor oil, and the Husky rep said the only reason they put synthetic in the larger models was because everybody else was doing it.

9. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

10. Richard Martin

hubb,
    I based that statement based on conversations with people who own Scags in my area and the very numerous reports of cutting problems that have been reported here on Lawnsite.