Husky saw guru help needed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by allenandinga, Feb 26, 2003.

1. allenandinga

allenandinga LawnSite Member

I've been working on a 51 Husky saw for two days now and can't figure this one out.

Problem: saw runs fine for about 15-30 sec. then starts bogging and dies as if running out of fuel. Appeared to be a tank vent problem.

Tests performed: checked tank vent and could not suck or blow through it so I left it out and the saw runs fine forever. I replaced the tank vent after checking the new one for proper operation and it did the same thing with a new one.
    Removed fuel filter and tried again...still the same problem.
    Checked fuel line...looks and feels like new with no holes.
    Cleaned carb and installed new kit...still same thing.
    Made sure the impulse hole is clean...no restrictions.
    Checked carb mounting gasket...good as new.

If any mechanics with experience on this model saw can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Allen

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. allenandinga

Is there no one here that might could help?

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It would be like if I went on the Arborsite forum and ask them about fixing a lawn mower. There's a lot more people over there using chain saws, than here.

5. allenandinga

Ok, I get it now. I haven't been on here very much, as you can see, and just assumed that since hand held, walk behind, and riding types of equipment are all used in lawn care and maintainance, some chain saw mechanics might be lurking around. I do see your point and will take your advice.

Thanks, Allen

6. SAWDOC

SAWDOC LawnSite Member

Let me try to help.
    *What did your gas look like when you took it out?
    * Was the gas old? Dark brown looking. How long did fuel sit in the tank? If your fuel was bad I would put in a new carb.
    * If you fuel was in good shape you will probably want to pressure and vacume check your engine. An air leak can cause problems that seem fuel related.
    *Also check carb settings, approx 1 turn out.

7. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

I have run into this problem on Jonsereds, ie. older 490-590 , I would try replacing the fuel line. The gas today will do weird things to fuel line. It may appear to be good, but as soon as a little vacuum is applied to the fuel line it will collapse. You mentioned that it ran fine without the tank vent? Try the fuel line. Also like SawDoc said, do a pressure test on the carb and the crankcase. Also, make sure that the fulcrum in your carburetor is at the correct height.
    Josh

8. allenandinga

Thanks for the help guys.

The gas was fresh and the fuel line looks like new although I will try a new one anyway. I set the fulcrum with the tool that Walbro makes, so I know it's perfect. I don't have a way to check the engine for an air leak unfortunately. I'm not a Husky dealer so I don't have access to their tools without buying them from a Husky dealer. I have seen many problems like this in the past and fixed them with ease but this one has got me stumped.
    Carb settings are approximately as SAWDOC stated. I hate to have to send this guy to a Husky dealer but I'm beginning to wonder how long the last few hairs I've got on head will last if I don't.

I'm going to get back on this thing tomorrow and I will try things mentioned here and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the help guys.