Husq. vs Swisher Z-Riders- Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bogie, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Bogie

Bogie LawnSite Member

Hello All,

I was hoping that some of you pro's might be able to help me with a delima that I am having.

I own a home with 2.5 acres of grass to mow. There a a slight slope to the property. I am currently cutting with a Murry 42" riding mower. It takes me approx. 3.25 hours to mow. Due to back problems, I would like to reduce the amount of time that I am on the mower.

I have beem looking at the zero turn mowers since early spring. The mower that first caught my eye was the Husq. 48" 17hp Kohler that is sold at Lowe's for $3999. Unfortunately, the price is a little steep.

I have found a Swisher 42" 17.5 Briggs Intek on the internet for around $2700. This is a little more in my price range, however, I can't seem to find any user reviews on the mower.

Has anybody used the Swisher mower? How does it compare to the Husq.? Or, are there any other suggertions...

Thanks for your help.

2. Alan

Alan Member

If that Swisher is hte one with three wheels, the front wheel turns to steer. It's nothing but a powered tricycle. There is NO comparison between the Husky and the Swisher.
  3. That's cause no body's using them.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you buy a zero turn mower you may get it done quicker but I don't think your back will appreciate it.unless you spend some bigger dollars for full commercial quality with suspension seat etc.
  5. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I agree with LGF. You can't find any reviews on here because no one on here uses them commercially.
    All I can say is you get what you pay for. Maybe you could find something thats of commercial quality in your local paper in the want adds.
  6. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

If you say swisher, some only know of the three wheel rider model as described before.
    For homeowner use I would guess the swisher zero turn would be a good buy. I have looked at them and they seem to be made well enough. Make sure of dealer support, or a repair shop that will work on whatever you buy would be the best thing to do for whatever you buy. If you have a good repair shop for mowers, ask them about the mower to buy. Maybe they can steer you toward a better machine or better price.
    I know my local dealer sells the Toro timecutters for homeowner use, I just carried one in for repair (homeowner ignorance) and it has taken a lot of abuse yet still cuts well.
    You might ask about difference in models. The cheaper models of Timecutters have cheaper/lighter duty parts to keep them in the lower price range.
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a thought here, save your bad back from getting worse on any type of mower, hire an LCO to do the cutting for you, let them worry about their backs and their equipment.
  8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

i have used the Husky Rider and it gives an excellent cut - you can not bag with this mower so that should be considered
    but it mulches very nice - and the deck flips up so it is very easy to change blades, etc.
  9. Bogie

Bogie LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the input.

One more question...I test drove a Cub Cadet 44" Z-Force today a tractor supply. Does anybody have any input on these? Are they worth looking at?

10. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a swisher 36 Z at northern last weekend and it looked pretty well built. Seeing as how I live in the land of small gated backyards , the machine proposes some potential to me for my needs. At around $2500 it doesn't sound like to bad of a deal!