Husqvarn 124L trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Feb 13, 2008.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Does anyone run one of these? Just wondering how good they are for light commercial use.
  2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I run two 123L trimmers. Very lightweight and reliable. I like them a lot.
  3. curry

curry LawnSite Member

How much are they new? I cant find a price on them.
  4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Mine were $199 a piece when I got them.
  5. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

Agree w/GravelyGuy - not a prograde piece, but is reliable plenty of power and gets the job done.
  6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Super trimmer at a super price!!!!

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Not 100% positive about this Husqvarna machine, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I believe the 124L trimmer is the same one sold at Lowes for $199. If you check the EPA Certification label on the engine, you should see something that reads "EPA Compliance Period' then it should say "I , II, or III" or "A, B, or C" or maybe "50, 125, or 300 hours"...thos are the respective EPA ratings.

NO ENGINE with less than a 300 Hour Rating should be considered a COMMERCIAL DUTY machine. Many manufacturers are playing the game of selling pieces of equipment in their product line with varying ratings... and "tricking" their customers into thinking it's a commercial grade item.

I fell victim to this myself before becoming a dealer..when I purchased some equipment for my Rental store. I've got 3 different pieces of Stihl extendable pole pruner, a stick edger, and a gas-drill... all 3 different engine durability ratings.. the only one that is considered "commercial duty" with a 300 hour engine is the pole pruner. The drill is only rated for 50 hours. But wanna know the worst part? They all have a COMMERCIAL PRICE TAG! The two manufacturers I've seen doing this the most are Stihl and Husqvarna.....although I've seen a few isolated instances with other brands.. Redmax being one of them. What I see happening is a few manufacturers are selling an lower quality product for a higher quality price and selling the machines on name recognition alone. It just seems dishonest to me. I think that if they continue to do this, eventually it will tarnish their image as companies with 100% commercial product lines.

If you notice, all Echo engines...even on the cheapest and least powerful models...are ALL rated by the EPA at 300 hours. So, next time someone tells you they "cheapened their stuff" to put sell it in Home Depot... don't believe the hype.
  8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I don't think anyone was saying the 123L was commercial duty. It really doesn't matter to me, I have been using mine for like 3 or 4 years now with no trouble at all. I even hooked up the brush attachment to mine which is made for the models with bigger engines and cut out brush. The engines just keep on going in them.

I love my Husq. 145BT blower too, it has a Kawi engine. No trouble at all, much better than my Stihl stuff that leaks fuel all over the place and never wants to start.
  9. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Was just at tractor supply and found a Husqvarna 125L on clearance for $100. Was wondering if I got a decent deal, just checked the EPA rating and it says 50hours. Does this mean that the trimmer is going to start to fall apart about that time?
  10. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

The 124L retails for $179. It is not a commercial grade trimmer, go with the model 223L for $269. It's a nice commercial trimmer for the price, only weighs 9lbs. And buy from a dealer.