Husqvarna 145BT Intake Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 145BT backpack blower. The other day I noticed a lot of dirt starting to get thick around the airfilter seal. The seal between the intake and the carb. I wiped it off and it seems like the carb does not seal tight enough and dirt could work its way into the engine. I took out the foam filter and I tryed tightening the screws, but it still seems loose. It has a little bit of play in it that could allow dirt to get in I think. Also, do you guys use engine oil on your filter foams or leave them dry and clean the more often? I also have been noticing lately that my 145bt has lost some of it's power that it had when new. Is there a spark arrestor or something I could take out of the muffler to make it run better and cooler? Where do I need to clean the deposits from?

Thanks...

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Husky if you haven't been oiling the filter, the reduced power you notice is the lost compression due to excess wear from dirt ingestion. ALWAYS oil the filter, as to your question, take the filter housing off and see if you can see a sediment/dirt trail towards the intake area ( carb throat ) if so, I'd lightly apply a fuel resistant sealer between the housing and the filter. That may help.

3. txlawnking

I almost forgot, to decarbon it you would remove the muffler to clean the exhaust port as well as clean th arrestor, on some the muffler can be clened as well . I hope this helps man.

4. Husky03

Txlawnking, I do not think the loss of power is form a loss of compression. I have not oiled the filter, but I have cleaned around every 6 hours. I will start oiling with engine oil form here on out. When I cleaned the filter there was no visible dirt in the white part of the filter. There was barely even any on the hair part of the filter. I took off the filter housing and checked for dirt and I could not see a speck of dirt. It was very clean. I would still like to seal it just to be safe. What kind of sealer do you think I could use that will not be permanent? Also, when I try to clean away the carbon is the the only place I clean the exaust port and the muffler? What would be a good way to clean the muffler? I appreciate your advice:)

5. txlawnking

try permatex 2 b it's nasty stuff but good.. Yeah you gotta scrape the exhaust port ( be VERY careful, don't gouge the piston or rings) as far as cleaning the muffler, if you can't take it apart and manually clean it, soak it in a bucket of Berryman Chem-Dip overnight ( or longer if you got the time ) then rinse it thourghly with varsol and blow it out with compressed air. If that doesn't get the funk out, it's beyond help! You could also use a torch to clean it out, but be real careful, as you don't wanna warp the port flange... Don't forget the spark arrestor, in fact, that's where you need to start your cleaning!!!

6. Husky03

On my trimmers the spark arrestors are little screen meshes. I do not see this on my blower muffler. Is it inside the muffler? Your a great help:)

7. txlawnking

Yeah, if it's not readily visible, it's probably inside.. In that case I'm prettysure the muffler will come apart.. When you unbolt it from the engine and see if it does. It may not have a screen, but I seriously doubt that. Glad I can help.. Let me know how it goes.