1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna 150BT?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thegreensideup, Mar 23, 2008.

1. thegreensideup

thegreensideup LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

What do you think about the new Husqvarna 150BT? Is 494 cfm enough to not only do grass clippings, but Fall cleanups as well?
  2. grasscoach

grasscoach LawnSite Member

I looked at those as a replacement to my JD bp40's (420cfm at tube). My dealer suggested that I go ahead and get the 180bt. I have a couple of heavily wooded 2-3 acre lots and with two backpacks going it took 5-7 hours each time we were there. We did that four and sometimes five times. I was figuring I could run the 180bt's at 685cfm at the tube and cut my time in half and charge the same amount since the customer is used to it. I would think at that rate the difference in cost (180bt is $499), would be made up a few weeks into the fall cleanup season not to mention the day to day time that would be saved blowing grass clippings and what not.

Just my $.02
  3. thegreensideup

thegreensideup LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

Actually the two that I was considering are the:

1. Husqvana 150BT 494 cfm 22.5 lbs $275.00

2. Stihl BR 600 712 cfm 20.9 lbs $469.00

I looked at the 180BT, but it weighs 29.1 lbs. and has about the same power as the Stihl.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I don't think the 189T is that heavy, I looked at Redmax 8001, which is supposed to be the same, it is only about 25lb. Echo PB651, PB751? PB755 should be lighter and in the power range with the big boys. Get the big ones, you save a little money to buy the smaller ones, you might regret in the long run. At least an Echo PB620.
  5. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I have a husky 150bt and for the money it cost 275$ to 300$ its the best blower under 300$ on the market...I used it for fall cleanups along w/ an eb8510 and a eb630 plus a borrowed br600..........its the smalest but it helds it own (for the money it cost)
    Compare it to other blowers in the price range ie;pb413 and the 150bt wins hands down.
  6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 150BT, for the price it is a good blower. I was just cleaning up a smaller yard with it yesterday, it worked fine. For grass clippings and light fall cleanups it would be a good choice, which is my intended use for it. For heavier cleanups you might want to look at something bigger. This was my first commercial blower purchase and in general very happy with this purchase. I figure next year if I need a bigger one, this would be good backup.
  7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

the redmax 8001 is underrated in its weight. It's the same thing as the 180BT but is listed as being 3 lbs lighter which is not the case.
  8. qwaller

qwaller LawnSite Member

I would be careful on this Husky. Box states that the engine is made in China if that matters to you.
  9. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Is that any worse than Sithl making BR 380/420 units in Brasil? or Honda making an EB5000X commercial grade generator in China? I'm going to check the box of one cause I know most of the other newer Redmax based Husqvarnas say they have Japanese made engines.
  10. TurnerLawnService

TurnerLawnService LawnSite Member

i just bought the 150bt this fall, it has a lot of power, good for grass clippings but still lacks a little when it comes to leaves. my redmax is perfect for fall cleanup