1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna 2 cycle muffler screen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by husqvarna600c, Aug 17, 2004.

1. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

I have a husqvarna 225b handheld blower. This weekend i was replacing the fuel lines and noticed that the muffler screen was carboned up so i decided to remove it . Since then i have noticed that the blower is more responsive. Of course the exhaust is a bit louder and i noticed that the blower 4 cycles at w.o.t. like it should.

It did not run this well even new. Are there any ill effects from removing the screen that i am unaware of ?:confused:
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they are called spark arrestors, someone correct me if I am wrong. We take ours off and throw them away as soon as we sign the ticket.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only possible damage that can result is a fire.
  4. husqvarna600c

equipment fire? or property fire?
  5. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

The only concern i have is over-reving the engine
  6. husqvarna600c

The rpm's seem fine. I have a hobbs digital tach. I am going to check them tommorrow.

I really do not see how the screen would effect rpms that much.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The screen shouldn't affect the R's... But the lack of it will sure help start a fire on Property.. I clean mine pretty regularly.... I will say that keeping it clean/removing it seems to kepp the port cleaning ritual to a minimum...

Serriously though, the number one cause of carbon/funk build up in a 2 stroke engine is prolonged part throttle/idling... It'll carbon them up in no time.... I had an interesting discussion with a Stihl factory guy at a Stihl school a few years back. He told me what their number 1 warranty problem was caused by...prolonged opperation at low speed/excessive idleing.... The guy was German and said that the problem seemed more prevalent here in the US, because ( he believed ) that consumers " Felt if they ran the machine at full throttle it would reduce it's life span " I tend to agree with him.

BTW, sorry for the long story.. I can't get to sleep....