Husqvarna 224L true 4 cycle trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by smallstripesnc, Apr 9, 2013.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yes you can operate it in any position.

you can rev it all the way all day if you want to but it's not necessary. it cuts as good at 1/2 throtte as a 2stroke at full throttle.

a tank will last longer than you will. you will take a break before the tank goes empty. i figure it will last at least 1 1/2 - 2hrs or more on a tank. that's using it hard not just idling. :laugh:

it doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes. it never has.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Use 'em regularly. I dunno. Maybe I'm not using them right. :laugh:

3. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I Love my 224L going to get one more . And I my getting a $800 Husqvarna 562XP for fun to and it has a computer controlled carburetor .O H@LL NO IT'S A 2 STROKE.

4. cgrant711

cgrant711 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one the 224l in June and it runs great!! Its pretty light and is really quiet. It has a Honda engine and I think it's gonna be pretty reliable. You can run it in any position and the power is nice on it. It also starts on the first pull or second every time, plus you barely have to pull to get it started. The only thing I'm not sure about is how to store it, I've read that if you store it the wrong way (like upside-down or sideways) oil will leak and cause problems the next time you try to start it. It works great for edging as well, of course not trying to make a new edge though, and it cuts through thick grass well, I don't think it's as powerfull as the top end echos or stihls but its still a great trimmer and I will buy another one as soon as I need one. The power on it is not just full throttle either, I can slow it down when trimming around rocks, wires, sheds, trees and whatever else, and it still will cut the grass without scratching up anything. I havent read the other post, but if I were you id buy it. I got mine at lowes for around $350, but next time I'll try and find a coupon.

5. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

I will second that.
    All my Husqvarna are running AWESOME.
    That new 562XP as crazy power.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah you are supposed to store it on the ground right side up. you can hang it on a wall but i forget which way you can store it. not sure if it's engine up or engine down. you can't store it laying on it's side or upside down. it's not that big of a deal though. the only thing that will happen is it will smoke on startup. the oil doesn't leak out it will just leak past the piston rings i think.

i've never had any of this happen though since i always store it right side up in my garage and in my truck while i'm going from job to job.

7. cgrant711

cgrant711 LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I always just leave mine horizontal engine facing up, so I'll store it the same way I guess, don't want to have to mess with it not starting or running right next year
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

My 224l has fell over in the shop was upside down for a long time and had no problem at all not even no smoke on startup.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i think it only happens if you store it a long time the wrong way. maybe like during the whole winter in the off season or something. mine has rolled over upside down in the truck and i've never had any issues with it.

10. jeffb007

jeffb007 LawnSite Member

Why does everyone keep saying the 224L engine is a Honda?
    Husqvarna claims that is not true! They are saying its a German made and engineered Husqvarna engine.