Husqvarna 323L trimmer exhaust heat problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS1, Oct 4, 2003.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought the 323L trimmer last week. I like everything about it except the exhaust heat hits my elbow area when I rev up the engine to trim.

Anyone else have the same problem? Do you live with it or have you modified the exhaust area so it doesn't blow back onto your skin?

2. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I have never had that problem. maybe you are used to holding the trimmer a different way? are you talking about tilting it sideways to edge sidewalks? I bought a stick edger so i don't really hold mine in that position. I put my drive shaft handles on "backwards". a guy i know told me to do that with mine so i did it and just left it like that. i'm used to it and like it. my advice is to try holding it a little different.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Never had that problem with mine either unless i used it to edge then it gets real warm so i bought a stick edger to take care fo that problem.

4. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

no problem with mine either. Are you left handed?

5. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

yes, same problem my helper gets a blister on his forearm he thinks its heat or spark comming trough the spark plug wire end but not quite a shock more of a burn

6. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

do you guys have 3 foot long forearms?

7. DLS1

I am left handed. The last trimmer I had the Muffler exhaust come out the back only.

The 323L has an opening area that exhaust can escape out the side on the right side. So when I flip it sideways to edge the side exhaust escape area is facing straight up facing my left elbow area.

I will be returning the trimmer and find a trimmer that has the exhaust going out the back and not on the sides at all. My old trimmer is heavy so I won't be buying that one again.

8. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

my 325 trimmer comes with an additional plastic guard over the top of the engine, you might look into getting one of those guards. i think it also comes with plastic over the metal part of the front of the engine. I would try holding it a different way.

how do you like the trimmer other than the heat?

9. DLS1

Hey scottishmaximus, the 323L has the plastic around the motor but for some reason on the right side (when you hold it ready to trim) where the muffler is their is plastic cutouts like it was needed to let out some of the exhaust so it doesn't melt the plastic. So when I flip it the way I am use to flipping it to walk on the sidewalk and start trimmer that open plastic area is facing my elbow.

I am not going to adjust how I hold a trimmer since that is what I am comfortable doing so I will find a trimmer that will work with the way I hold it. Their is to many good trimmers to worry about changing the way I hold it.

10. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You want find too many trimmers to accomodate left handers. Might have to build some kind of exhaust port to route it away from you.

but it is a problem all lefty's have.