Husqvarna 350BT will not start, checked everything. Need your help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scottycam, Nov 16, 2011.

1. scottycam

scottycam LawnSite Member
    from MA

Hi All,

Been a lurker for sometime and everyone seems really helpful. I know i've learned a lot. Now, its my turn to ask the question as I'm at my wits end and frankly, I'd really like to figure this out rather than send it to a repair shop.

I have a Husqvarna 350BT leaf blower.

It was running fine last season and then towards the end of the season, it started to have a hard time staying on. When I give it gas, it would lose power and then eventually die, never to be started again.

Fast forward to this season and it won't kick over. I have checked everyting but perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Has anyone expeirenced this before and if so, what can be done.

Below is a list of things that I have done/checked.

*New Spark Plug
    *New fuel filter
    *Semi clean air filter, not dirty enough to prevent starting (even tried it without the filter)
    *Cleaned carburetor and diaphragms. (there was rust where the needle/levers were, but I was able to clean all of that up fairly nicely with some TLC) didn't work after this even though I was confident it would.
    *Purchased a diaphragm/repair kit and replaced the lever, needle, spring, all diaphragms.. basically replace everything that was supposed to be replaced except for the needle seat.
    *Checked spark arrestor plate (clean)
    *Fuel line is clear and not blocked
    *Air Purge line is clear and not blocked
    *When primed, gas does goes through the carb, there's gas in the clear primer bubble
    *There's spark (unscrewed spark plug, connected it to wire, pulled cord and saw a very faint spark) so that rules out electrical.
    *Gas/Oil mixture is fine (although, possibly old gas as I don't remember when the last time it was that it was changed.
    *Coil pulls ok, it just won't kick over.

**Hm... Could Old gas prevent this from starting? If so, is there anything I can add to the gas or do I need to get new gas?
    Do those gas additives really work?

2. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I would say the gas that had sat in the carb turned to gunk. Take carb apart and clean . Should fix the problem .

3. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Sorry , I see that you already tried that . I didnt read it all the way down.

4. scottycam

from MA

Thanks.. Yeah, I was confident that that was the problem... wish it was..

5. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

The key on the flywheel? It happened to my echo edger, everything checked out fine. It would pull OK but not start.

6. scottycam

from MA

Hm.. Key on flywheel..

Can you explain further? What would be the symptoms or an indication that this would be it?

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Here's the carb that is supposedly on your blower.

Did you clean the main jet?

8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Old gas will definitely prevent it from starting! IMHO gas treatments are a waste of money, fresh gas/oil mix is cheap insurance.
    The problem more than likely is dirty/clogged HS/LS passages. Ya gotta pull the needles and clean. Could also be the non replaceable check valve in the floor of the carb ( if it has one). The main nozzle/check valve is prolly OK, or else the bulb would suck air thru it and not fill up.

Er, there ain't no pic of any carb ,there dutch.

9. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

10. kubotaorange

kubotaorange LawnSite Member

if you put a few drops of frsh mix down the sparkplug hole, replace the plug, and pull it, does it fire and then die out? If so it's definately you're carb.