Husqvarna 48in Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToughAsStihl, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I know, I know, not again. :hammerhead:

I found a 2003-2005 Husqvarna 48in ZTR with a 21 horse Kawi with 220 hours. It also comes with a discharge chute mounted grass catcher.

Price $4000

Is it a good mower? Good price?

I seem to hear mixed feelings toward Husqvarna.

2. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

I know someone has some input.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

$4000 would go along way on a top name new ZTR. Don't know much about Husqvarna ZTR's but you can do a search. Very mixed review from what I've read. I'm afraid of them. Do you see any LCO's in your area with them on the trailers? I would use that 4G toward a Scag, Hustler, Dixie, Exmark, Grasshopper, and been hearing good reports on commercial Cubs, etc. Just my 2 cents. You asked!

4. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

After doing some searching and some reading. I guess I am not going to go with the Husqvarna. *trucewhiteflag*

5. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

In my area I see alot of Yazoo Kees mowers basicaly the same but different colors.

6. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

So does that mean I shouldn't give up on it?

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Keep reading these post and you will learn alot. Lots of different opinions, brand loyaltys, tempers, etc. But I've learned alot over the years. When you go into a dealership and know more about the product than the salesman that's a good thing (for you). I mean you go into a Hustler dealership and they don't know much about the new decks, or an Exmark dealership and they know nothing about the Triton problems, Scag, Dixie, all the same. I'd rather listen to the guys and gals on here with real first hand knowlege about the equipment before buying. Thats 2 cents more for me, I'm up to 4 cents now.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Go and demo all your dealers and see what fits you best. If your going to spend that much money make sure it's something you like.

9. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Anyone else? It can't be that bad.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Look... I'm not trying to be Mr. Smartypants here, and I don't type away over this stuff for the thrill of hearing the keystroke clicks, believe me.

But man to man, let me ask you an honest question here...
    Why do you reckon such a unit is sitting for sale with 220 hours on it?

I can give you 3 good reasons because I've personally owned 3 of those models. Heck one was even that exact model with the 21hp Kawasaki, and honestly it was the worst of the bunch. But the 3 good reasons are 2 out of three were useless by 220 hours or less (with issues an unexperienced guy like yourself wouldn't pick up on right away on a test drive) and the third was not much better I assure you. All were '02/'03 or newer, and guess how many I own now? None of them.

Regardless of paint color, red or orange, these machines are not worth $4,000 new just to be honest about it. Believe me, I know. I tried my best to trade a 21/48 back to a dealer, brand new, still in the crate, before ever taking delivery, no paperwork filed, nothing. Basically I tried my best to trade a unit being shipped in for me. He could have sold it as brand new just like any other new machine of that brand he had sitting on his showroom, and it was newer than his floor stock. Want to know what he offered me for his own brand machine, brand new? $4,100 and that's the God's honest truth.

With 220 hours on it, you'd be hard pressed to get $2,500-$3,000 back IF it's in perfect mechancial and cosmetic condition, provided that whoever you are selling or trading it to isn't aware of the quality. Believe me, the $4,100 above was the most I was ever offered for any of mine.

Anyways, it's your $4,000 not mine. I'm just trying to do my part here and give something back to this site, it's members and the industry.... just some honest heartfelt advice to help my fellow man.

I'd rather find out you put $4,000 in anything else... even a walkbehind, or a really nice lawn tractor or homeowner ZTR because I'd know you would have a better, safer machine in your stable. My old Murray Select lawn tractor was more reliable, lived longer, put more money in my pocket and backed them up without fail every time they were down. Again, the God's honest truth.