Husqvarna 580RSW (Ariens) or 6521RS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheGrassGuy, Jun 25, 2002.

1. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

Just had a call from a dealer who can bring me in one of these Husqvarna mowers:

*580RSW - $900 Canadian
    Commercial (Ariens LM 21SW)
    6.5 hp B&S Intek Overhead Valve
    21" cut
    Disk o matic transmission
    steel wheels with bearings and replaceable tires
    Swivel front wheels
    steel deck

*6521RS - $700 Canadian
    6.5 hp B&S Intek
    21" cut
    Disk o matic transmission
    Fixed front wheels

Comments on mowers or price?

2. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

The 580RSW I believe would be the better of the two and worth the extra bucks .The 580 is commercial end vs the 652 is home owner end. You will like the swivel wheels, and the 1 inch ergo handlebars are way better than the foam padded ones on the other . I have the Ariens equivelant of the 580 , and its a good mower . The 580 is very manuverable , and leaves the lawn looking great when bagged or mulched .It is very strong and will mow down some really tall grass .

3. I've got 2 of the Ariens SW's going into 3rd season. Reason I got them was for the SW. If you work tight areas and lots of obstacles you will be glad you spent the extra $. Also you can lock in the front wheels if you want. I believe the new model has a remote lock in.
    The Intek OHV 6.5 has been good, sometimes a hard start when hot. Has held up well with doubles
    I added 1 gal fuel capacity since I run them lots o hrs
    Trans can slip a little when wet
    Just found some stress cracks in the handle brackets on one machine. $25 fix
    Dive belts 2-400 hrs only $10
    I think the above 2 problems due to some rough lawns
    Wheels, deck, cables all solid.
    Parts are available on line if you lose your dealer

4. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

How do they rate in comparison to a Honda HRR216K3DC or a Toro Super Recycler with Personal Pace?

I can get the Honda for about $150 less or the Toro for about $50 less.

5. I ran toros before these and they are good machines. my reason to switch was the castors on front. if toro has that I'd go for it, if that isnt important whichever machine seems most comfortable to operate and has good dealer support in area. dont think you would go wrong with either.
    never ran a honda so I cant say anything about them