husqvarna belt wear

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cdjohnson7, Jul 24, 2006.

1. cdjohnson7

cdjohnson7 LawnSite Member

Have a 2006 Husqvarna 36 W/B. Model is a WH1536E Hydro Drive. I got 40 hours out of the original belt with a mulch kit installed. I then swithced to gator blades 1/4 thick (.250) new belt lasted about 5 hours. Then I tried an arimid belt same results. Next I removed the gator blades and put a .203 thick set on it. This one got about 6 hrs on it and came apart. So I am on belt # 4 and am kinda P.O.' d cause the belts are 39 bucks each. I would really love to hear any insite into this problem. I have checked all the pully's and the tensioner no binding or dragging. I Also need to mention that the belts are not breaking they are stretching to the point of running off the pulley. I have also maintained this unit since day one per the book.

2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Does it make _any_ sense to you, that the blades would be a variable/factor?
    I think you should consider anything except the blades as a source of problem.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with the Husqvarna line but if it's a 06 model when the first belt broke I'd been beating the dealer's door down......

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, first off ask your dealer to take the unit and friggin repair it!

Secondly, things you can check are belt alignment along the pulley's. Next with the pto engaged does the belt wobble severely at any point in its run?

After checking that turn the PTO off and remove tensioner, make sure all blade spindles spin freely and are smooth. Same goes for all your idler pulleys.

5. cdjohnson7

Yes the belt does wobble between the clutch pulley and the idler. I took it to the dealer today. I will see what he has to say

6. cdjohnson7

Well got the mower back and couldn't find anything????? I put the deck in the center height adjustment and it seems to act better but now I can not cut down to the required height. With the mower set to the lowest position on the machine there is more than 1/4 inch change in belt height between the idler and the first blade. I understand this is bad and is it possible to shim that pulley on this mower to reduce belt fatigue???

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would start pressing the lemon law here. If you have gone through 3 belts in what 60 hours??? That is absolutely insane. Call husky direct if you have to but make your dealer fix it or buy it back and give you a new one.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Adjust the deck as to have about a 1/4" drop on the front, This may help.
    That is the Factory set-up on Dixie Choppers.