1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna Commercial Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJIII, Apr 16, 2002.

1. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

I would like to know Is the Husqvarna 58ORSE and 58ORSW any good?
  2. hogfaneiw

hogfaneiw LawnSite Member

They are good solid mowers, seem well built. They are made by Areins for Husqvarna. For commercial work consider the 600 R with the Robin engine.
  3. Lawns & More

Lawns & More LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've had a 580 RS, for two years, love it ! Great mower !
  4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scott's mower, identical to the 58ORSW, also made by Ariens, which I bought to replace my Ariens when it was stolen. There are 3 little design characteristics, which could be improved:

1. The blade adapter/drive pulley is made of cast metal, not machined. Get a machined blade adaptor and pulley or the first time the machine has a heavy load on it, the adapter will break. This may have been addressed during the product recall a year or so back.

2. It's a PITA to raise/lower the front wheels, and the clip is constantly catching on shrubs and fences and getting pulled off. I used a shoulder bolt with a nylock nut. I only make adjustments to the rear wheels.

3. The dead man switch on all 4 of these I've run doesn't seem to be able to be adjusted properly. I can't move the OPC bar back enough to engage the switch without pushing the lever on the side of the engine.

The swiveling front wheels make this mower a dream to use. The infinitely variable forward speeds are better than the 3 speeds (Slow crawl, fast crawl, run) I've come across. And it does an awesome job vacuuming leaves and mulching.