Husqvarna - deck proper pitch ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dchurch, Jun 8, 2006.

1. dchurch

dchurch LawnSite Member

Husqvarna ZTH 52" 23 hp Kawasaki
    Great forum -- I've been reading about deck pitch. Currently, my mower has tremendous "blow back" from the front of deck. Fills up foot rest with grass in very little time.

Deck is cleared and clean of grass. Side discharge - standard blades.

If pitch problem - what is proper pitch

Blade suggestions ?

Thanks!

2. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I s this the a new mower with there new deck. If it is you are going to wish you did some research. I had a husquvarna last year with the new tunnel ram deck what a night mare. Do a search on it. Long story short. You deck is very poorly designed and was shipped to your dealer with out the proper baffles for the deck. The baffles will solve the blow back into the operators area, but will change the cutting performance of the deck. Call your dealer ASAP and pitch a *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammerhead:

3. dchurch

dchurch LawnSite Member

no it's not new model-- 2002 model 293 hours

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to have a 60 inch 25 hp. What a piece of scrap metal. I would sell it if you can find a buyer and purchase something better quality. I didnt like it from the hydros to the deck. I could buy husq stuff at dealer cost at anytime.

True im having probs with my toro but i think from what i have seen there was a run of out of spec spindles. Other than the spindle probs I love the machine.

Try setting the front of your deck 1/4" lower than the rear. This should help out... sounds to me like you got the rear lower

5. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the husqvarna mowers but I have had nothing but good luck with the two I own. I love them, great cut, and no problems with anything. My 48 has almost 500 hours and I have changed a belt and that was it. My 52 has 100 hours and no problems there eather.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Still TYPICAL of the old deck design too.

I used to refer to them as 'front discharge' because it was that bad.

There IS an anti-blowout baffle you can get for it.
    But it helps minimally and really causes the deck to suck worse than it does.
    The left spindle area will PACK FULL, especially on the 52"...

Not worth the trouble.

There mulch kit is very good in my opinion and you probably won't EVER read anything more new about anything else regarding them where I'd say that. Installing the fully baffled mulch kit and setting the rake properly will help the blowout. But then GOOD LUCK getting it to cut acceptably all the time... because you can no longer get the only reliably performing mulching blade for them.

It would be an EXTREME UNDERSTATEMENT to say that I am 'with' the others who say dump it like a hot potato for something else. I assure you, you will avoid a lot of personal frustration with the mower, and you will thank us all immediately after running a better piece of equipment a week.