Husqvarna, JD, or Snapper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by HigginsLawnCare, Jan 10, 2017.

1. HigginsLawnCare

HigginsLawnCare LawnSite Member

very limited budget this go around. I need suggestions. Looks like I'm going to have to get a stamped deck this time, I'm cutting only around 15-20 yards a month (3-4) weekly. Will a residential ZTR stamped deck be ok? What would you suggest... Husqvarna, JD, or snapper? Being that I've already price shopped, I can afford either of these I choose, now I just have to narrow down to the best of the cheapest. Thanks for your help

2. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Silver Member

Are the 3-4 yards weekly your only source of income or have you got a part time job on the side?

Are you talking about a stamped deck rider, JD, Husqvarna, or snapper to buy new at say Home Depot or such because with the price on Home Depot's & Lowes hunks of metal you might could put yourself pretty close to the ballpark range of a used Scag, JD, or Ferris Walkbehind on Craigslist. I got my 48" Scag WB with fairly low hours for $2500, I got my Scag V-Ride 48" 700 hours, for $3200.

What is your Max budget?, keep in mind we got some time before any real mowing needs to be done.

3. HigginsLawnCare

Def want to stay with a ZTR, this will be a part gig for me to bring in extra cash. I really want to stay with new, for warranty purposes. I'm not looking a big biz stores, looking at dealers store.

4. River

River LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

i'd get a commercial one with under 500hrs if you can find one

5. HigginsLawnCare

6. ZombieCutter

ZombieCutter LawnSite Senior Member

250 bucks will buy a nice used commercial machine.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  7. Mr Stripe

Do you mean $2,500 or $250, :)

JLSLLC likes this.
  8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Words of wisdom here. I bought a new unit like you want to do that was geared residential. The deck couldnt take commerical use and got warped and took a beating from a piece of bar from a plant/flag hanger. I lost a lot of money and sold it for like 800 within a year. If i were to do it again id put a nice payment down at a dealer and finance the rest. My two cents. Dont get burned in the long run.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  9. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Senior Member

No way I'd waist my money on one of those mowers... At least step up to the next grade.... Those mowers will cost you more in the long run with repairs and loosing customers because they don't do the job as good as professional equipment... I'd be looking up Craigslist this winter for a good used commercial machine.

kawasaki guy and Mr Stripe like this.
  10. Mr Stripe

^^^Thank you!!^^^ lol