Husqvarna Mowers---Acceptable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lancetaylor, Nov 12, 2002.

1. lancetaylor

lancetaylor LawnSite Member

I am in the process of starting up a commercial lawcare dealership and am still evaluating manufacturers of both ZTR and walk-behind commercial mowers.

I am strongly considering Husqvarna for both of these products, along with their chainsaws, trimmers and blowers. Husqvarna is putting together very aggressive pricing and plans to aggressively enter the commercial market in our area.

My competition currently sells ExMark, Walker, and Encore. Here's a sample of Husqvarna pricing:

ZTR
    61" Deck
    27HP Kawasaki
    Gas
    $6900 MSRP

My question to the commercial contractors is...
    Is the Husqvarna name and quality acceptable?

Thanks for your opinions!
    Lance

2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

We use some Husqvarna equipment. My friend is a dealer here, so we have gotten a lot of equipment from him. I like their trimmers, very light weight and bullet-proof! The backpack blowers are some of the most comfortable I've ever used but the strongest one only blows 185mph compared to echo's pb 650, it will blow around 210. I have one of their compact ztr's so I could get it through some 42 in. gates, it does good for what it was designed to do but YOU WILL DIE if you run it on any slope at all! Their 72 in ztr is really good just a little underpowered I believe it had a 23 hp engine; not enough. Their 21 in. commercial mowers are good & they make good commercial walk behinds floating decks. They aren't all floaters but they all cut really good.

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

sorry the 72 does come w/ a 27 hp engine but it was still not the strongest. Overall they have been a good company to us.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not real familiar with Husqy equipment, but I can tell you this; I've not heard anything bad about them. If you do a search on here for them, I don't believe you'll see a whole lot of bad things about them. Man, if your dealer is dealing in Exmarks though, you may want to seriously consider that route, even IF you end up with what might APPEAR to a little less mower for the money. You atleast know the Exmark is tried and proven. Good luck with it!

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my take on it for what it's worth...

Husqvarna seems determined to get there share of the commercial market. They bought Yazoo/Kees a few years back. I believe this is where their commercial stuff is built. The 2 mowers appear to be the exact same. The power frame on the large frame John Deere mid-mounts is also a Yazoo/Kees-Husqvarna frame.

Now from a dealers persective, Husqvarna has a huge line. Something to please about anyone. Along with Kohler or Kawi engine choices for those it matters to. The rest of there smaller equipment has a rock solid reputation that certainly doesn't hurt either!

Now here is how I got introduced to there line. I was shopping hand held equipment. A trimmer to be exact. This dealer carried Husqvarna, Stihl, Honda and Tanaka trimmers. So I had to go! While I was there I noticed there were very nice signs and everyone wore Husqvara polo's. Either they are forking out or Husqvarna is generous in making you look good.

Anyways the big hand held line drew me in. So you should think of that! Lower cost attractions. Then I got exposed to a very well run dealership with highly trained knowledgeable employees. Other things to think of! So while I was there I notice a couple of orange ZTR's and since I was already there, I had to look them over good and ask some questions. ;)

These people were very professional in talking with me about the ZTR's and trimmers. They were quick to point out the good points and advantages of all there brands and any others I asked about that they didn't carry. NEVER cutting the "head off" of any product to try and make a certain product of there's look taller than any other or any of the competition. That is a trust builder for me. Something else to think about! It's hard to trust a man who cuts down a portion of his line to push another or cuts down the competition.

I ended up buying a Stihl FS 85 :blush:
    But hey! I'm happy with my purchase! The guys on here helped me and the dealer was helpful in pointing things out that were important to me in a trimmer. A lasting impression of that dealer made me return there and spend more for the same piece of equipment. Price ain't everything, just a piece of the puzzle.

All my future hand held equipment will come from there as of now even though they are not the closest or cheapest. When all is said and done I may just go pick myself up a ZTR before spring. The orange on the Stihl will still match OK :D

But it is hard to justify an extra $6,600 + tax on one when I can get the exact same thing at the Yazoo/Kees dealer for $6,000 out the door and he's only 5 minutes from me. So stay competitive!

I have some important info to share with you in addition to this that I will not post here. E-mail me and I'll get it to you!

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope, John Deere builds there own frames for the ztr mowers. Maybe, in past years JD had someone building ztr mowers for them, but not the new ones. They are buit at their Turf Care plant in North Carolina.

Mike
    DLCS

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if u are lookingat the same quality mower i looked at couple o yrs ago. the price is great for that size mower.
    mower cuts good and handles well.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! When did they start doing this? Last I knew, they were using these frames and putting their 7 Iron deck on them.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

DLCS,

Just take the time to go around and see John Deere, Great Dane and Husqvarna or Yazoo/Kees all in the same day. I think you'll see for yourself you ahve been fooled! Either that or I'm looking at late model John Deere ZTR's :confused:

The mini series 717 & 727 are Great Dane power frames.
    The quick trak series is the Great Dane Super Surfer power frame.
    The M series are Yazoo/Kees power frames.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Envy,

The M series may have a Yazoo frame but the 737 and 757 replaced the M series this year. I don't see any resemblence with Yazoo/Kees/Husky and my JD 757. I was talking about the new ztrs that JD came out with this year. I think you are confusing the old m653/m655 with the 2002 737/757 .
    Mike
    DLCS