husqvarna mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walters lawn, Apr 11, 2002.

1. walters lawn

walters lawn LawnSite Member

any one know about husqvarna mowers:blob3:

2. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

My local dealer started carrying them last year. They look like a solid mower, but I think they are priced a bit higher than other comparable brands for what you get.

3. Lawns & More

Lawns & More LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a Husqvarna 580 RS, self-propelled push lawn mower. I have had it for about 2 years now and not a single problem with it. It runs and cuts great !

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 52 Z with the 23HP Kawi. After previously owning a couple toro Z's and 2 Grasshoppers I can honestly say that my Husky is the best cutting machine I've ever owned. It's fast, gives an excellent cut, and so far (only 165 Hrs) has given me no troubles. I paid a little more than I would have for an Exmark but the Exmark dealer we have in this area is an As***** and I won't deal with him.

5. Paul CHINN

Paul CHINN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

I have owned a Husqvarna ztr for one year (48", 18hp). Though I'm not a commercial mower, I use the Husky frequently to mow 5 acres of very rough ground (rocks, stumps, brush, etc.). Thus far (only 100 hrs) the machine has been trouble free and done an excellent cutting job. Just my 2 cts. from a non-pro.

6. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

The ztr riders used to be made by Yazoo Kees. I was told last week Husqvarna bought them out. I do not really know. I demoed one for a few days and it was an excellent mower as far as I could tell. The seat was a little uncomfortable, but that can alwys be remedied. Also, the place where I got my demo had a YK there and side by side they looked identical except for paint, and the YK was about $1,200 cheaper.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

think u are rite . thats what a dealer had to say about it a couple yrs ago.
    he had both mowers on his floor.
    i liked the mower when i demode it.

8. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

I have 21" mower and do not like it. Maybe, I bought the wrong model but, it has not held up well. I have a JD 21" and it is 7 years old and in better shape than the 1.5 year old Husky.

9. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

Wattsup is right. To my knowledge Husqvarna bought-out Yazoo-Kees and the two mowers are identical except for the paint. The word is the YK's cost less. My advice is to be cautious when considering anything Husqvarna. Everything they make seems to be over-priced and (at least where I live) are sold in farm-supply stores moreso than saw shops (like Stihl). Exmarks look very similar but I'm not sure they the same or not.

10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned a Husqvarna ztr for one year (48", 18hp).

I have the same machine. When I priced it the Husky was about the same price as the others I looked at, and a bit more than the Exmark, which was right at $6k. The Husky dealer told me about a factory program with significant incentives. Mine ended up being less than $5200 before tax.

Overall, I can say it's a good mower. Can it be improved? Sure, just like all the others I looked at. Would I buy it again? Yes, and next year I may get one as a dedicated bagger. I want to try a side mount catcher first, and make a mulching plate.

So far my only complaints are...

... the front casters. They're too small and can be sort of a PITA going over curbs, and the wheel pops off the rim easily (at least this is solved with foam filled tires).

... the controls are not as precise on the smaller machines as the large frame ones. the mower will not back up a hill, and will not turn in a true zero radius. This hasn't been a problem because I use 3 pt turns to keep from tearing up the turf, it just doesn't feel as strong as the machine I demo'd.

Just my $.02.