1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna or Snapper ZTR mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tejas241, Dec 3, 2004.

1. tejas241

tejas241 LawnSite Member

Some of you may have read some of my earlier posts. I am getting into the business and looking at ZTR mowers... It looks like I could save about $1500-$2000 on comparable deck/engine size configurations as compared to say toro/exmark/scag. What do you guys think?
  2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know much about Snapper, but at GIE their frames look anything but commercial. Husqvarna equipment will be better built than Snapper but if you compare Husqvarna apple to apple with Exmark or Hustler they will run about the same $$$.

If you do save 1000-1500 upfront you'll spend more than that down the road.......
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If I had to pick between the two i'd definately say Husqvarna. They are a lot better built than the Snapper and is a very high quality machine. They also have heavy decks with a good cut quality and will last as long as any major brand because they use the same engines and the same pumps and wheel motors as the major brands.
  4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

EXMARK payup
  5. 50ccmx

50ccmx LawnSite Member

Snapper commercial equipment uses 7 guage steel decks and 7 guage steel frames. I do not think anyone is using anything stronger than that, including exmark, scag etc. There are not a bad buy for the money.
    BTW, same transmissions as everyone in their price range too.
  6. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I had a husky 61" and I had two hydro pumps go out on me in the first 30 hours. I traded it in. It didn't handle hills very well, and I had alot of scalping problems with anything but flat terrain. On flat serfaces though, it did a great job and was very fast. Hope that helps.
  7. tejas241

tejas241 LawnSite Member

Very helpful, thank you all!
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

If I had to add another Z to my arsenal it would be ANOTHER Snapper. VERY sturdy, 7 guage steel throughout. Ask any of these guys above that have "seen" the Snapper if they've demo'd it...bet they haven't. I demo'd Exmark, JD, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, and Snapper. The Snapper IMO performed just as good as the Exmark & Hustler, better then the others IMO.
    Sure it's not a "pretty" machine but what machine is after a day's worth of hard work?

Only one thing I wish it had, and that's 1/4 inch increments on deck adjustment. It has 1/2 inch, not a major thing but would be nice. Good luck and demo one, I think you'll be impressed.

9. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Up North, the 1/2" cutting height adjustment was the only complaint I had with my Country Clipper (definitely worth looking into, if you have a dealer nearby: www.countryclipper.com ). Anyway, just grab a 3/16 to 1/4" thick collar; metal is sturdier, but I used a 1/2" (I.D.) pvc wedged inside a 1" (O.D.) one and slip it over the cutting height pin to raise it just about 1/4".
  10. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

Just looking at the picture of the Snapper that Buck posted, I can see that the snapper would handle side hilling much better than the Husky I had, the frame is way shorter and wouldn't swing as much. Hope that helps.